How to shop tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to shop tires

I’d like to replace the tires on my 1982 Suzuki GS650G, specs in the manual are 3.25H19 on front, 4.25H17 on the rear, both tubeless. But I don’t see these specs on tire websites.
    1982 Suzuki GS650G

100/90-19 front
    120/90-17 rear

Avon Roadrider's are hard to beat.

America's trusted online source to shop the best discounted Motorcycle, UTV, ATV, Side by Side, and 4 Wheeler aftermarket tires, gear, parts and accessories.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You can get a 3.25 -19 in the Avons.
      I just did.
      In metric, a 90/90 would be closer
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Those correct sizes for the GS650G seem to get harder to get all the time. Avon seems to have dropped the AM26 Roadrider sometime last year. They have one they now call the Roadrider MkII. No alpha-numeric brand that I have seen. The 100/90/19 is an easy size to find from many brands making classic bias tires. Avon and some others also make the inch 3.25/90/19 front, including the Avon RR MkII. Mostly for the old airhead market. Avon doesn't have a rear tire anywhere near the size needed though. Only 17 rears now are 140 or 150 70/17. The Bridgestone BT46's ( was BT45) is one of the very few available in a 120/90/17 rear. There are more tires available in 130/90/17, but that's going oversize. I really liked the BT45 on my GS650 and another bike in the past and couldn't ask for more.

There are also several brands that make a rear 120/90/17 bias tire in ADV type tires. Continental is one of them. Mostly 90/10 ( on road/off road) I picked up a new BT46 rear some months ago from Dennis Kirk, but haven't mounted it yet. My rear BT45 is about done @ 4500 mi. Beware, there are many 120/90/17 bias front tires, generally no bueno on the rear.
        1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by hank2 View Post
          Those correct sizes for the GS650G seem to get harder to get all the time. Avon seems to have dropped the AM26 Roadrider sometime last year. They have one they now call the Roadrider MkII. No alpha-numeric brand that I have seen. The 100/90/19 is an easy size to find from many brands making classic bias tires. Avon and some others also make the inch 3.25/90/19 front, including the Avon RR MkII. Mostly for the old airhead market. Avon doesn't have a rear tire anywhere near the size needed though. Only 17 rears now are 140 or 150 70/17. The Bridgestone BT46's ( was BT45) is one of the very few available in a 120/90/17 rear. There are more tires available in 130/90/17, but that's going oversize. I really liked the BT45 on my GS650 and another bike in the past and couldn't ask for more.

There are also several brands that make a rear 120/90/17 bias tire in ADV type tires. Continental is one of them. Mostly 90/10 ( on road/off road) I picked up a new BT46 rear some months ago from Dennis Kirk, but haven't mounted it yet. My rear BT45 is about done @ 4500 mi. Beware, there are many 120/90/17 bias front tires, generally no bueno on the rear.

Can you confirm the BT46 Rear is available in size 120/90x17 ? I looked over a month ago but didn't see that one. thanks

Comment

grcamma2, Yes it is. I purchased one from Dennis Kirk online early this year. That was one of the lower prices I saw for it. I have found that not all tire sellers have the 120/90/17 BT46 rear listed, including some of the larger ones. I think I paid about $126. with free shipping.
            1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Pretty much all true. The numeric sizing system is a relic of bygone days, it's mostly metric designations now.
              /
              Yes, the actual conversions get you to 82mm in front and 108mm at the rear, which would lead you to think about 90/90-19 up front and 110/90-17 on the rear. Going up one size at both ends will get you to the 100 and 120 recommendations that Nessism offered. The 120 can be difficult to find, you can move the rear to a 130 with minimal impact.

Avons are a good choice for many here, especially if your riding style is a bit more "enthusiastic". If your riding level is a notch or two down from that, or if you don't put on that many miles per year, Shinko 230 Tour Master or the 712 are also pretty decent. Their performance is a lot better than the price of admission might lead you to believe.

Comment

My local supplier has these https://fortnine.ca/en/metzeler-me-8...tra-front-tire

But what does the last number mean? 100/90-19 I understand, but what’s 57H and 62H? The 57H is a little cheaper.

100/90-19
                1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

My bike currently has Shinko 130/90-17 on the rear and 100/90-19 on the front.
                  1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Beez View Post
                    My local supplier has these https://fortnine.ca/en/metzeler-me-8...tra-front-tire

But what does the last number mean? 100/90-19 I understand, but what’s 57H and 62H? The 57H is a little cheaper.

100/90-19
                    The 2 digit number refers to a load rating index. Higher number is higher weight capacity. The letter, like "H", is that tire's speed rating. There are many. H= 130 mph rating, a minimal rating for street motorcycles. Of the two examples, assuming they're the same size, is the lower rated one a tube type?
                    1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Everyone seems to have their favorite place to buy tires, mine is eBay. Just do a search on the particular size you need and chances are the lowest will be chapmoto.com unless someone has a a few closeout or NOS in stock.
                      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by hank2 View Post
                        The 2 digit number refers to a load rating index. Higher number is higher weight capacity. The letter, like "H", is that tire's speed rating. There are many. H= 130 mph rating, a minimal rating for street motorcycles. Of the two examples, assuming they're the same size, is the lower rated one a tube type?
                        So what’s H57, top speed 57 kph? Hopefully that 57 mph, but still that’s way too slow.
                        Last edited by Admiral Beez; 08-05-2021, 07:36 PM.
                        1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                          Everyone seems to have their favorite place to buy tires, mine is eBay. Just do a search on the particular size you need and chances are the lowest will be chapmoto.com unless someone has a a few closeout or NOS in stock.
                          How do you prevent getting really old tires?
                          1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

How do you prevent getting really old tires?
                            Buy from a high volume dealer
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

So what’s H57, top speed 57 kph? Hopefully that 57 mph, but still that’s way too slow.
                              This is a metric site, but the translation is painless.

The same load and speed ratings apply to car and bike tyres.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X