Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gs550 - does the clutch cover has positioning pins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs550 - does the clutch cover has positioning pins?

After a long delay, finally getting back to the GS550T project. Side covers now off and I notice the right side clutch cover has what appears to be mounting pin recesses in the upper right and left holes, but there were no pins. There was a pin on the left side generator cover.

The fiche doesn't show any pins, so I assume everything is OK, but what is the purpose of those recesses?

This was the first time I got the covers off, so happy to seethe insides look clean.

PXL_20210805_110821668.jpg
    Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Well spotted.

According to the partslist it does use one.
    From your photo, and looking at the gasket, looks like it needs 2..
    Last edited by Rijko; 08-05-2021, 08:01 AM.
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
      Well spotted.

According to the partslist it does use one.
      From your photo, and looking at the gasket, looks like it needs 2..
      Hmmm. item #17 is the one for the left side cover.

item #23 might be the one(s) for the clutch cover, but they are not shown on the image
      Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

#23 is shown on the fiche, to the right of the sprocket cover, as if it's a locating dowel for that cover. I don't seen any pins on the clutch cover side. It's a puzzle. What year is this bike? I looked up the 81 550T on partshark, it has the same picture as CMSNL, but I don't see the year stated by the OP.
        Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 08-05-2021, 08:33 AM.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          #23 is shown on the fiche, to the right of the sprocket cover, as if it's a locating dowel for that cover. I don't seen any pins on the clutch cover side. It's a puzzle. What year is this bike? I looked up the 81 550T on partshark, it has the same picture as CMSNL, but I don't see the year stated by the OP.
          Your guess was correct, '81 GS550T. And thank you for pointing out the use of #23. Potentially saves me the frustration of ordering something, waiting for the shipment, only to find out I don't need it.
          Last edited by sacruickshank; 08-05-2021, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sacruickshank View Post
            Hmmm. item #17 is the one for the left side cover.

item #23 might be the one(s) for the clutch cover, but they are not shown on the image
            my mistake.
            A puzzle indeed. Though i am sure you need the 2 pins, several sites do not show this part clearly.
            Just checked for the GS1000 which shows both dowel pins.

Now there's nothing critical here, the clutch cover will be in place when all bolts are in but i
            would prefer both pins in place.
            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

So, the question is. Are the pins needed for the clutch cover the same size as the one for the sprocket cover, or the one for the stator cover? They are 2 different part #s.
              I may have an answer, at least as it pertains to my bike, which does show:
              (2) 04211-09129 needed for the Clutch cover.
              (1) 04211-09129 (same as the clutch side) needed for the sprocket cover.
              (1) 04211-13189 needed for the stator cover.

The part #s for the '81 550T are the same:
              (1) 04211-09129 needed for the sprocket cover.
              (1) 04211-13189 needed for the stator cover.

So my money would be on (2) 04211-09129 needed for the '81 550T clutch cover. Since you already have the clutch cover off, why not take the sprocket cover off, take the pin out and see if it fits in the clutch side's 2 holes. Then you'll know what to order.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

On my '81 550T, the pin for the sprocket cover is 10mm, the pin for the stator cover is 14mm, and the recesses in the engine casing where the clutch cover attaches are 14mm.

UPDATE - Mystery solved. Pins are not needed for the clutch cover! While there are two 14mm holes in the engine case, the clutch cover itself does not have corresponding 14mm holes, so there us nothing for a pin to slide into. Doh! There is a ~10mm hole in the clutch cover corresponding to the upper right hole in the original image, but there's no magical 14mm-10mm sleeve that would make sense.

Suzuki was probably just re-using parts & castings on various models.

Thanks for the help, even though it turned out to be a red herring.
                Last edited by sacruickshank; 08-05-2021, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sacruickshank View Post

Suzuki was probably just re-using parts & castings on various models.
                  That makes sense. Glad you got it figured out.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

I just did a full rebuild on my 550t and I remember there being a few things that threw me off on reassembly.
                    Those holes were one. There's also something near there that I think is a vestigial element from kickstart motors that seemed like it would need a gasket but didn't. I don't remember details though, and I didn't take very helpful pictures. Really I guess I'm just sympathizing, not helping.
                    1978 GS750E, 1981 GS550T (550/673), 1979 Puch Maxi

Comment

Also - how do you store eight bikes in Boston?
                      1978 GS750E, 1981 GS550T (550/673), 1979 Puch Maxi

Comment

Originally posted by jimhickcox View Post
                        Also - how do you store eight bikes in Boston?
                        Now THERE'S a REAL MYSTERY!!!!
                        sigpic
                        '77 GS550B
                        '78 GS550C

Comment

Originally posted by xkaes View Post
                          Now THERE'S a REAL MYSTERY!!!!
                          In the winter, eight bikes in Boston looks like this ... three near front of garage, one on the lift with two beside it, and then two underneath the kayaks. Makes getting to the trash/recycle cans difficult and my car lives outside. It's easier in the summer because the kaya's come off the wall and both cars live outside.

Current stable at 7 as I sold the CB350 but hadn't yet updated the signature
                          garageFeb21.jpg
                          Last edited by sacruickshank; 08-12-2021, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X