Another New Guy In Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another New Guy In Canada

So, I posted in the wrong place last time and have been put straight. "Does not follow directions" could be my middle name

Life and work have taken some time in the last few weeks so I'm finally getting back here for an update.

In the wrong thread I posted:
    "Hello everyone. I'm new to the forums and have been poking around, having a few chuckles, and taking note of good information. My GS is a '79 GS850GN that I bought 6 years ago in decent running condition. It's been under wraps for the last 5 years but after selling a 2004 Honda 599 Hornet I'm finally finding time to clean up and tinker up the old GS. I drained the gas and added fresh, plopped in the battery and hit the starter. Caught on the third crank. Can't complain! Now working on fluid changes and replacing a sticky choke cable but been running it around town in the meantime and loving it. Thank you for this great resource. I look forward to browsing through the other posts as I bring my old GS back to regular use. - Dyl"

Since that post I've managed a number of tasks on the poor old GS. I shouldn't call it poor, it's a great old machine. Crazy, really, how well it works after 42 years. No doubt the rest of you are in similar frame of mind or getting there!

I found this forum as I searched for info on tires considering the difficulty matching new rubber to the old tube?/tubeless? rims. I'll post my progress in a more appropriate thread.

Since I got my 850 running again back in June, I've had a great time bombing around town and out to a few nearby communities. Currently it's up on blocks while I get it re-shoed and re-forked. Fun fact: really bad wheel bearings actually smell like burnt toast!

I'll attempt to include a couple pics:

Good times (July 21, 2021 in Dover, NL, Can):
    The safest and most inclusive global community of photography enthusiasts. The best place for inspiration, connection, and sharing!

Soon to be good times (today):
    The safest and most inclusive global community of photography enthusiasts. The best place for inspiration, connection, and sharing!

-Dyl
    Last edited by GSDoubleDyl; 08-06-2021, 10:40 AM. Reason: Picture link test
    "So I'm gonna write my words on the face of today. And then they'll paint it"

2008 Honda CRF230L - Sold
    2004 Honda CB600F Hornet - Sold
    2015 Suzuki Vstrom DL650XT
    1979 Suzuki GS850GN
    2018 Honda Grom 125

Welcome aboard! Good ole' Calvin. Where's the tiger?

Does everybody in Canada ride?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Rob - Ha. Hobbes likely on a Hog eating tuna fish sandwiches! He's a hard case

And in my part of Canada we only get about 4 - 5 months of riding weather if we're lucky so we get a little frantic when the sun comes out!

1979 Suzuki GS850GN
      2018 Honda Grom 125

Comment

Hi! Nice 850!
        Go here if you haven't already...it can save you lots of wondering...
        BikeCliff's Website

Comment

Thanks Gorminrider. Been there too. A LOT of good info
          -Dylan

1979 Suzuki GS850GN
          2018 Honda Grom 125

Comment

Holy cow, we have almost exactly the same bike. Right down to the rubbed-off emblems, cracked seat decorations, and muffler scuffs.

These bikes are extremely reliable if maintained correctly.

Tires shouldn't be too hard to find if you know where to look. I don't know if the supply chain issues everywhere have carried into tires, though.

Anywho, you've come to the right place for bike info and camaraderie. Welcome!
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Welcome. I just had a quick google to see where Gander, NL is on the map. Wow, that is remote, and I’m betting very picturesque. Looking forward to seeing pictures with your bike in different locations around your island. You would be a very welcome participant in the Pic of the week game.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks Charles and Rich for the welcome.

Charles: Just had a look at your pics. Uncanny how similar our bikes are. Yours is shinier by far so I have some polishing to do! I like your drilled brake discs and rear Hagons. I ordered some EMGO Classic rear shocks for mine though the originals are not too bad. I'll try the EMGOs and see how they react. I bought this bike as a 'project' to tear down and make into a cafe, for which I have zero previous experience. $1200CDN including cases and Windjammer! After sizing things up I decided I'm much better off cleaning things up and using it. It's in pretty decent shape and runs great. Fuel gauge, gear indicator and self cancelling signals still work. My 2004 Honda CB600F (sold) didn't have any of that so going 25 years older seemed like a step up! I'm waiting on parts right now to replace the wheel bearings and then to mount new BT46s. One of the front bearings was actually burned up black.

Rich: Yep, we're hanging out into the Atlantic a little bit up here. It's great if you like rocky coast and sea fresh air but the lack of roads gets boring for riding. Haha. We have a Wizard of Oz joke for getting anywhere: "Follow the only road". That's the Trans Can right through the province. With our small population you also have to plan your gas stops as stations can be far apart depending on your route. On the plus side we sure do have some good views and lots of great little communities off the beaten track. I stumbled upon the Pic Of The Week thread last night. It's great! When I get mine rolling again I'll have to try and get some pics in for the "rustic" category.

1979 Suzuki GS850GN
                2018 Honda Grom 125

Comment

There’s also this thread:

This area is to be used only for general GS topics. For non-GS related topics, join the Off-Topic usergroup. <b>Technical questions are not to be posted here.</b>

where we post any good or interesting picture from our rides.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                    Holy cow, we have almost exactly the same bike. Right down to the rubbed-off emblems, cracked seat decorations, and muffler scuffs.

These bikes are extremely reliable if maintained correctly.

Tires shouldn't be too hard to find if you know where to look. I don't know if the supply chain issues everywhere have carried into tires, though.

Anywho, you've come to the right place for bike info and camaraderie. Welcome!

For tires...and a variety of other after-market parts (presuming you do not find them locally) try Fortnine, way out in Alberta
                    . Good pricing, excellent service, shipping usually free if you meet minimum purchase amount.

Shop the largest selection of motorcycle tires, harley davidson tires, scooter tires in Canada. FREE Shipping and Fast Delivery.
                    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
                    X