Help with mystery shouldered spacer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with mystery shouldered spacer

Hello all. I've been putting a lot of work in on my GS550 to get it road ready, and after a short stint out of duty from a bad flat, finally got a quick ride in. While pulling into my driveway and shutting down, I heard this part fall on the ground. After some forum digging and checking my manual/babbits, I'm coming up flat. I gather it's a spacer, but what exactly am I looking at here?

Gallery and dimensions in album, thanks all in advance.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like BentFoldingChair.

It doesn't look like anything from the bike to be honest - if I had to guess I would say it looks like a modified spacer for one of the engine mount bolts?

Like #25 in this image cut in half?:

Last edited by hillsy; 08-06-2021, 02:00 AM.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Front flat or rear??? What was your axle diameter??? Looks possibly like a wheel spacer, but I can't imagine you properly getting yer wheel back tightened down without it in place...
      '82 & '83 GS1100e

Comment

Engine was my first once over, it's all buttoned up right per the manual. The patina, machine pattern and general wear are really pushing me to believe it's from the bike. Might just be going crazy here, but not a fan of spare parts after a rebuild . I'll keep looking around.

Comment

Rear wheel, and the spacer stack up checks out with the manual there too, no real play to speak of. Changed to bearings with the tire so I triple-checked that guy. It's only 12mm ID, and OD is like a nickel maybe in size? I can get better info/pictures after work.

Comment

Doesn't lleap to mind yet as anything I have on my bikes except a wheel axle bushing through the rubber seal and it seems small for that and it would be polished by a spinning rubber seal ...but does look like something that goes through a rubber seal....

possibly up under the gauges as a bushing through rubber... Gas tank mount ? bushing for bolt through the rubber grommet at back? A bushing for a headlamp mount..? though mine (gs650,gsx400) have no shoulders and are much thinner bushings...

Comment

Possibly some joker picked up a piece of auto debris and left it on top of your crankcase, to rattle and fall off, giving you the worries.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

It looks like a suspension bushing
                Threads have marked the bore
                So it been getting loaded up

What years this thing
                Last edited by Cipher; 08-06-2021, 06:19 PM.
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                  It looks like a suspension bushing
                  Threads have marked the bore
                  So it been getting loaded up

What years this thing
                  Think it's too small for any suspension parts, but does look just like one. It's a 1980, but probably a third of it is non original by this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                    Doesn't lleap to mind yet as anything I have on my bikes except a wheel axle bushing through the rubber seal and it seems small for that and it would be polished by a spinning rubber seal ...but does look like something that goes through a rubber seal....

possibly up under the gauges as a bushing through rubber... Gas tank mount ? bushing for bolt through the rubber grommet at back? A bushing for a headlamp mount..? though mine (gs650,gsx400) have no shoulders and are much thinner bushings...
                    Huh... I did tear the front end apart recently. And it looks like I'll be doing it again come Monday to be certain. Thanks for the angle Gorminrider.

Comment

Does your rear wheel have a rubber cushion and separate sprocket carrier? Looks a little like the bushing that goes thru the sprocket carrier bearing on some models, like my GS1100e...
                      '82 & '83 GS1100e

Comment

So I checked the clocks, electrical mounts, wheels and anything else that would generally merit offsetting a bolt...
                        Nada. Certainly unsatisfying as far as answers go, but I'm electing to consider this closed for now. Not worth the extra stress and down time at the moment. If/when anything comes of it, I'll make sure to follow up. Cheers all.

Comment

Good plan. Possibly flung from a vehicle ahead and trapped on your bike anyways. But keep it until you forget why.

Comment

Working...
                          X