finished getting my gs450 up and running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finished getting my gs450 up and running

thanks to everyone who helped me out, and sorry to anyone i offended.
    finally finished getting her up and running. been gently riding once a day or so for about a week now to get used to the differences between my normal ride (a 150cc scooter) and this big girl.

she even passed inspection, and i have my registration and a plate, so shes road ready!
    once it gets too cold to ride, i'll probably get the tank and side panels painted sky blue.

Last edited by SkyfangR; 08-08-2021, 06:10 PM.
    1985 Suzuki GS450L

Looks good. Satisfying to getting it on the road again I'm sure!
    "So I'm gonna write my words on the face of today. And then they'll paint it"

2008 Honda CRF230L - Sold
    2004 Honda CB600F Hornet - Sold
    2015 Suzuki Vstrom DL650XT
    1979 Suzuki GS850GN
    2018 Honda Grom 125

Comment

Good for you! You've had your trials getting her on the road...didn't you have a missing post for the carb floats? and have to scare up some new carbs? the Trials of old bikes...

Comment

Very nice! Looks so good compared to the GS450L I'm working on. I bet that's a whole lot of fun stepping up into that from the scooter you're accustomed to.
        1983 Suzuki GS450L (...really the wife's. I just maintain it.)
        2005 Yamaha TTR125L
        2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC ABS

Comment

yea, one of the carbs that came on it had a busted and missing float post. was able to find a workable set on ebay and after cleaning them out and cutting some new float bowl gaskets was able to get her running steady. i need to replace the petcock. it works on prime and on reserve, but putting it on 'on' just causes it to dump fuel from the airbox. the fuel gauge sender needs looked at too. it isnt sending, but im not too worried about it right this second. i work on a farm and we keep a couple 5 gallon jugs of regular gas laying around for various machines, so im in no real danger of getting stranded. the biggest challenge is mounting this beast. i got a rod in my right leg,and having to lift my leg up that high causes a few twinges of pain. my scooter is a step through, so thats one thing i gotta get used to.

the angle of lean on the sidestand is another one. its barely noticable on my scoot, but this bike always looks like she's gonna fall over if i put her on the side stand, plus it leans so far left that im a little worried about the oil pooling on the left side and messing something up on the right. it is significantly easier mounting on the sidestand than it is on the center stand though
          1985 Suzuki GS450L

Comment

Working...
          X