Dead cylinder GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead cylinder GS1100E

1982 gs1100e #2 cylinder is dead. Bike idles and starts fine. #2 plug looks wet fouled and smells like fuel. Has spark. tried swapping plugs between #1 and #2 and same problem. is there something that could be making that carb super rich to wet foul the plug? maybe the spark isn’t strong enough? also the #2 carb has the vacuum line from the petcock going to it don’t know if it could be a vacuum problem? Bike is all stock.

Have you done valve adjustment?

Have you checked compression?
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
      Have you done valve adjustment?

Have you checked compression?
      No and no. bike has 20k and has been sitting for a while but Is always on a tender and gets started every couple weeks.

Comment

Had the same issue and it was the vacuum line, or rather petcock in general. Try removing the vacuum line from petcock, not the carbs, and block it with an oversized bolt. Then turn the petcock to PRI setting and give it a go. Probably a good idea to make sure plugs are clean prior to this. Also remember to turn the petcock dial back to regular/off position after you try this, it may flood your carbs or engine.
        Pingel sells a worthy replacement if you need one. They have one with vacuum line as well as one without, which is what I got. Bike runs amazing, just had to pick up a habit of turning the fuel off at or shortly before your destination.
        1980 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by fvnkybvnch View Post
          is there something that could be making that carb super rich to wet foul the plug?.
          Float could be sticking open, out of adjustment, or the float valve needle seat seal could be leaking.
          Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
          1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
          1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Originally posted by radek22 View Post
            Had the same issue and it was the vacuum line, or rather petcock in general. Try removing the vacuum line from petcock, not the carbs, and block it with an oversized bolt. Then turn the petcock to PRI setting and give it a go. Probably a good idea to make sure plugs are clean prior to this. Also remember to turn the petcock dial back to regular/off position after you try this, it may flood your carbs or engine.
            Pingel sells a worthy replacement if you need one. They have one with vacuum line as well as one without, which is what I got. Bike runs amazing, just had to pick up a habit of turning the fuel off at or shortly before your destination.
            Thanks I was thinking about trying something like that but wasn’t sure how to go a put it.

Comment

Originally posted by pdqford View Post
              Float could be sticking open, out of adjustment, or the float valve needle seat seal could be leaking.
              I took the bowl off the #2 carb on the bike to inspect things and didn’t think to check float valve while I was in there like a idiot. put it to prime and watched fuel come out of carb. Also when I took the bowl off fuel seemed at good level (float bowl like 80% full)

Comment

that was the problem! thanks for the help! Now just need to find a pingel.

Comment

Pingel is easy to find. I put one on my 1000 a couple of years ago and have been happy as can be.

edit: oops, bad link to pingel

Manufacturer and distributor of high performance motorcycle parts and accessories for street and drag. Find fuel valves (petcocks), wheel chocks, air shifters, all electric shifter kits, wheelie bars and more here. Products for Yamaha, Harley-Davidson, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda available.
                  Last edited by alke46; 08-09-2021, 06:33 PM.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                    Pingel is easy to find. I put one on my 1000 a couple of years ago and have been happy as can be.

edit: oops, bad link to pingel

www.pingelonline.com
                    seems like with a pingel you need an adapter plate from them for the 1100e. anyone have experience with a K&L?

Comment

I took the bowl off the #2 carb on the bike to inspect things and didn’t think to check float valve while I was in there like a idiot. put it to prime and watched fuel come out of carb. Also when I took the bowl off fuel seemed at good level (float bowl like 80% full)
                      There are 2 methods I’m aware of for checking float height/ actual fuel in bowl height. This is a new one on me. I’m not sure what info you mean to gain from this method or how you could guess from it that your fuel height is actually correct.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                        There are 2 methods I’m aware of for checking float height/ actual fuel in bowl height. This is a new one on me. I’m not sure what info you mean to gain from this method or how you could guess from it that your fuel height is actually correct.
                        Kinda figured if it wasn’t totally overflowing when I removed it or there wasn’t any fuel in the bowl it’s probably correct since the bike is stock and not messed with at all besides what I’ve done in the past.

Comment

seems like with a pingel you need an adapter plate from them for the 1100e. anyone have experience with a K&L?
                          I believe Pingel has the adapter for your use. Give them call, I'm sure they will fix you right up.
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

There's the fitment chart below. Delivery is fairly quick, bit pricey but a great product so far imo. I got the single output 6211-CH, but they have dual for vac line as well. Measure the distance between the adapter screws, either 50mm or 44mm, gotta get one of these too. Hope you'll get lucky like I did, and won't have to file the tank opening. Use gasoline resistant teflon tape on adapter screws (orange color, much thicker than regular), at least 4 times around the screw as tight as possible ( I think I did 6 or 7). Fuel valve needs about 3 times around the thread. I'm loving mine, hope it works for you.

1980 GS1100E

Comment

There's the fitment chart below. Delivery is fairly quick, bit pricey but a great product so far imo. I got the single output 6211-CH, but they have dual for vac line as well. Measure the distance between the adapter screws, either 50mm or 44mm, gotta get one of these too. Hope you'll get lucky like I did, and won't have to file the tank opening. Use gasoline resistant teflon tape on adapter screws (orange color, much thicker than regular), at least 4 times around the screw as tight as possible ( I think I did 6 or 7). Fuel valve needs about 3 times around the thread. I'm loving mine, hope it works for you.

http://www.pingelonline.com/images/P...tion_Chart.pdf
                              thanks for the input! Theirs so many options for a pingel I kind of want someone to just tell me what they used on my same bike that worked properly. I’d like just single output aswell and get rid of the vacuum line.

Comment

Working...
                              X