Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Few questions regarding 530 chain conversion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all for chiming in, 18/50 sprockets & 116 link chain have been ordered. Cheers!
    1980 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by radek22 View Post
      Got it off ebay, quite a few of them there - JTF 518B is the product code.
      I will take a look, thanks.

EDIT - I see why there are lots there, they are 2-5x the price that Fortnine lists them for when shipping is added in.

Mark
      Last edited by mmattockx; 08-11-2021, 12:52 PM.
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
        I will take a look, thanks.

EDIT - I see why there are lots there, they are 2-5x the price that Fortnine lists them for when shipping is added in.

Mark
        Yup, but I'm not counting on Fortnine to get them back in stock anytime soon.
        1980 GS1100E

Comment

Z1 enterprises have the spacer & yes it is 6mm. It goes on the OUTSIDE (nut side) of the sprocket.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Mark (mmattockx) has the concept correct, but glosses over how some of those numbers were obtained.

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
            Ed has the numbers correct but glosses over some of the math and adds a few unnecessary steps. The easiest way to calculate the new sprockets and chain length is to use the pitch ratio between the two chains. This is 5/6. To get the new sprocket sizes while keeping the same pitch diameter you simply need to multiply the teeth by the inverted ratio.

New front sprocket = 15 x (6/5) = 18 teeth
            New rear sprocket = 42 x (6/5) = 50.4 teeth (you can either go 50T or 51T, depending if you want to be slightly taller or shorter than the stock drive ratio)
            New chain length = 96 x (6/5) = 115.2 (use 116 links as Ed says)

Mark
            Those numbers are there because the chain numbers aren't just numbers, they are sizes. The stock 630 chain is 6 eighths of an inch between the pins (pitch) and 3.0 tenths of an inch in (inside) width, giving it a 630 designation. Similarly, the 530 chain is 5 eighths pitch and 3.0 tenths wide.

Since the links are shorter (5/8" vs 6/8"), it is easy to calculate the difference in length. The difference in the sprocket is to maintain the same diameter. Knowing the number of teeth in the stock sprocket and using that 5/6 ratio, it's easy to get the new number.

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
              Those numbers are there because the chain numbers aren't just numbers, they are sizes. The stock 630 chain is 6 eighths of an inch between the pins (pitch) and 3.0 tenths of an inch in (inside) width, giving it a 630 designation. Similarly, the 530 chain is 5 eighths pitch and 3.0 tenths wide.
              Ah, tis true. I assumed everyone knows that the chain size numbers are intelligent and not random. Good point to clear that up.

For anyone looking for the 6mm spacer up in Kanada Fortnine has them in stock again.

Mark
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

If anyone is really hard up... in the USA Tru Value stores stock a thick washer that works. YOu have to stack 2 or 3 of them from memory & it's possible I had to run a dremel around the inside diameter to briefly clean up the edges.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                X