Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for welcoming me!

Comment

Most of the bike is identical or nearly so to the GS line from the same era. Wiring colors are mostly or all the same, suspension and brakes share most or all parts with GS models, etc. Most knowledge crosses over quite easily. An old Suzuki is an old Suzuki, for the most part.

Suzuki re-uses parts and engineering to an extraordinary degree, which is part of what makes it possible for us to keep riding these things hard 40 years later.

The GR650 was relatively rare, so there are parts that are far more difficult to find. Things like cosmetic parts, tanks, instruments, etc. are extraordinarily hard to find in nice shape for all vintage Suzukis, and the GR's rarity compounds the problem.

I helped put one back on the road and ridden it, and it's a very nice bike. Relatively light weight, compact yet comfy, good power, appealing engine. I think it was just the victim of bad timing, arriving about when the "dumping" controversy and the '80s motorcycle glut issues were starting, and the fact that folks buying Japanese bikes in the US at the time were hyper-focused on four cylinder bikes.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

That is one comprehensive thoughtful answer. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
        In my world of love for Japanese transverse air cooled twins, the GR650 is just simply the best looking motorcycle. The seat is not too stepped that I would bother to change it but I would change the handlebars to superbike bars.

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
          Do they have a type of extra flywheel which kicks-in lots of torque at low rpms ?

Do you happen to know ??

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_GR650 Specifically, check out the 3rd paragraph.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogywstew View Post
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_GR650 Specifically, check out the 3rd paragraph.

Yes,Have you ridden yours and experienced that low-end pull ?

Comment

I don't own a GR650 but I have read about a half dozen motorcycle magazine and owner's testimonies and it seems to be a great feature. Maybe if you raced a GR650 it would hinder acceleration???

Comment

Race?
                  My little 550 can eat these.
                  They're nice but not powerful.
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Some of us would go into cardiac arrest if our pegs dragged in a corner. I've made it my life's goal to never have any part of my motorcycle ever touch in a corner aside from tires. Do mother in laws count?

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                      Welcome, & you can be sure nobody but you will care if you have a GS450 or a GR650, as long as not an "L" model. But beware, you never know what to expect around here.
                      Does that mean I'm a RHSC? At least I have a GS... (I'm laughing as I write this)
                      81 GS650GL

Comment

No, I fit the RHSC thing, I'm not fond of disco cruisers (cruising for burgers bikes) nor black bikes. Nothing wrong with either, just me being the RHSC.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                        X