Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wurring sound… from trans or final drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ebay parts

These are now available on ebay.
    Looks like the shaft is broken off right?
    No nut.

Should look like this:
    Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 08-14-2021, 08:23 AM.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
      Pull the rubber boot off the front joint of the drive shaft - and see if you can move the universal joint forward and back. It's also possible you'll find the retaining nut sitting in there. They break the reduced diameter piece off the end of the secondary shaft - which is threaded for the retaining nut.

In the past i have pulled the assembly and drilled and tapped the exposed end for a large capscrew to do the same job. 14mm from memory.
      Ok Greg, opened up the rubber again, put a screwdriver in there and yes the flange moves to the right easy. The shaft is broke off at the usual place.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

[QUOTE=Buffalo Bill;2662452]These are now available on ebay.
        Looks like the shaft is broken off right?
        No nut.

Should look like this:

/QUOTE]

yes, is no nut because is no threaded shaft.

yes, has the threaded shaft and nut and flange (flange that bolts up to flange on ujoint)
        Last edited by Redman; 08-14-2021, 04:02 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
          Ok Greg, opened up the rubber again, put a screwdriver in there and yes the flange moves to the right easy. The shaft is broke off at the usual place.
          okay.
          now have identified the problem as being that threaded shaft broken off the driven secondary gear (same as I had in 2017).

option 1 (assuming want to fix it)
          Replace the secondary gear set (or at least the driven gear). That requires a bunch of measurement and use of machinist die and other such stuff to check gear alignment(?) meshing(?) and then swap out shims …. or other machinist-head stuff that is beyound me.
          will see if I can find the spare gears our fine friend from Quebec sent me in 2017.

option 2
          the zook repair/modification as described in link someone posted earlier. Requires machine shop equipment. (This is the option that became available to
          me in 2017, only because a fine GSR member then offered me such service. That member no longer active here.) (Anybody else,,,?)

>>> LaterNote;
          Either way, if you want to fix it you are taking off the swingarm, and pulling out the secondary driven gear out the back of the engine. So start there.

Last edited by Redman; 08-14-2021, 04:04 PM. Reason: Quebec not Ontario, ignorant amaetican not know difference

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

At least you now know what it is. IMO repairing your existing parts is the best way out. All the shimming and preloads are set and known.
            The center of the broken shaft is soft and can be drilled and tapped quite easily by a competent engineering shop. The size used depends on what tap sizes they have available. I used 14mm because i have it and it matched the small dia shaft size. It would be possible to use a smaller capscrew and a bush for the bearing.

It is also possible to do it with the engine in place. Difficult, yes, not impossible. I ground clearance for the extraction into the frame members - which are plenty generous to take this. The owner specified the engine was not to come out as he was proud of the very high mileage it had done without coming out or apart....
            It cost him about the same, lol, but I didn't have to put my back out lifting the engine....

Comment

At least you now know what it is. IMO repairing your existing parts is the best way out. All the shimming and preloads are set and known.
              The center of the broken shaft is soft and can be drilled and tapped quite easily by a competent engineering shop. The size used depends on what tap sizes they have available. I used 14mm because i have it and it matched the small dia shaft size. It would be possible to use a smaller capscrew and a bush for the bearing.

It is also possible to do it with the engine in place. Difficult, yes, not impossible. I ground clearance for the extraction into the frame members - which are plenty generous to take this. The owner specified the engine was not to come out as he was proud of the very high mileage it had done without coming out or apart....
              It cost him about the same, lol, but I didn't have to put my back out lifting the engine....
              The assembly can be removed from the engine in frame, that's what you did right?
              At first I was thinking maybe you bolted a drill press to the engine in the bike frame!
              Now that would be legend.

Comment

Yes,pulled out with the engine in the frame. i worked out what had to be cut back and attacked it with a die grinder. Not a lot had to be removed to get the plate past the frame and there's plenty of meat on the frame members. Splashed a bit of paint in there once it was back together.

No need for a drill press - spin it by running the engine in gear and machine it in place. Yes, I am joking, you'd never guarantee getting it properly centered.
                Last edited by GregT; 08-14-2021, 06:38 PM.

Comment

If the gear assembly doesn't come loose from the engine once the screws are removed you may have to crack loose the case screws in that area of the engine to reduce pressure some.

Will a drill press do a proper job drilling the hole? I'm imagining that a lathe would be better, although I'm not sure how to keep the shaft from spinning with the housing clamped in the chuck.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    If the gear assembly doesn't come loose from the engine once the screws are removed you may have to crack loose the case screws in that area of the engine to reduce pressure some.

Will a drill press do a proper job drilling the hole? I'm imagining that a lathe would be better, although I'm not sure how to keep the shaft from spinning with the housing clamped in the chuck.
                    The shaft has to come out to go in a lathe. With the nut broken off the end it all just slides apart. So watch you don't drop parts or lose the sequence of shims etc.
                    The new screw up the center will do what the nut did and hold it all together. i used a socket head high tensile allen screw, drilled and lockwired after tightening.

Comment

The shaft has to come out to go in a lathe. With the nut broken off the end it all just slides apart. So watch you don't drop parts or lose the sequence of shims etc.
                      The new screw up the center will do what the nut did and hold it all together. i used a socket head high tensile allen screw, drilled and lockwired after tightening.
                      Allen head screw again, why not a cap screw?

Comment

Very strong. I could get one readily where a 14mm hex head high tensile screw was harder to get. Memory says the shank size was an accurate 14mm too which is required. Don't think the hex head screws are that accurate.
                        Tightened with a long piece of tube slipped over the allen key.

If a hex head is easier for you, fair enough.
                        Last edited by GregT; 08-15-2021, 12:46 AM.

Comment

From the photos I've seen of this repair, there's no room for a socket.

Grade 12.9 socket head screws are fairly easily available.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Ok Greg how did you lockwire it? Some kind of solid lock would be mo-betta.

Comment

Ok Greg how did you lockwire it? Some kind of solid lock would be mo-betta.
                              Just drilled the socket head and looped around a leg of the u-joint from memory.
                              Loctited - and done up with a long tube over the allen key. I'd probably use the rattle gun now.

Comment

Here's the linc to Dave's thread-2017: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ight=secondary

Comment

Working...
                                X