Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wurring sound… from trans or final drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just some GS tech trivia for anybody interested:
    Have not been interested is doing the chore of fixing my GS this summer, chose to ride my other bike with my limited free time instead.
    Ordered a salvage set of 850cc bevel gears last week, but bummer, forgot to check the part numbers before I did. Just assumed they would all be the same.
    Found out almost all the part numbers for the 2ndary and final drive are identical, accept the 2ndary bevel gears.
    Seems the GS shafties set the drive ratio with bevel gear selection.
    The 850 torque and HP peaks are 500rpm higher the 1100cc, explains the different bevel gear part numbers.
    Do not wanna use a lower final drive ratio in my 1100G.
    Dave Redmon has some 1100 bevel gears, I just need to make time and journey up to his domicile.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Good to know, Bill.

Also, there may be differences in the drive flange bolt spacing.

On the 850, I believe the split is in 1982 -- '82+ are different flanges and driveshafts than '79-'81. The driveshaft lengths and splines are the same, so you just need a driveshaft that matches the output on the engine. And yes, I learned this the hard way with a transplanted engine in an 850...

I do not know how or whether this applies to the 1000G/GL and 1100G/GL/GK models, but it's something to watch out for. Caveat shaftor.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

The 850 driveshaft flange changed between '79 and '80.
        I also found that the hard way.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The best way is the hard way, anyway seems to be the way I go about my day…
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Ok, need my favorite bike back on the road.
            Will be driving up to Dave Redman's house for a bevel gear set this weekend.
            Hope it's the right parts.
            After I get the broken gear out, I'll see about having the repair done, as a back up in case Dave's set is the wrong part.
            Thank you everybody for your help!

j4dRUbp.jpg

Comment

Actually have big-mo going this weekend, accept time out for riding.

SXfv638.jpg
              Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 05-28-2022, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Bummer, as per usual a weird problem showed up. The driven assembly don't wanna pull out of the engine block.
                Seems the barrel has some internal friction with the side wall.
                I snapped the flange off prying.

KZnYNkV.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                  Bummer, as per usual a weird problem showed up. The driven assembly don't wanna pull out of the engine block.
                  Seems the barrel has some internal friction with the side wall.
                  I snapped the flange off prying.

KZnYNkV.jpg
                  Jeeze, Bill. Always somethin' ain't it.
                  Best of luck to ya.
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A
                  Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post

Jeeze, Bill. Always somethin' ain't it.
                    Best of luck to ya.
                    Your post gave me luck. Got a tweak of a movement just with moderate prying. Then with a half hour of work it popped out.
                    Enough work for Memorial day, will have to follow up later this week.

Comment

From what I recall when Redman did his, he loosened the nearest bolt that clamps the case halves together and it allowed enough clearance for the assembly to slide out.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Drive gear in place and clearance checked with Prussian Blue.
                        All assembly now, no biggie.

LAy9wFT.jpg

Comment

I thought I would show how I dealt with the weight of the swing arm.
                          Worked great for me.

Il31RVm.jpg

Comment

You gonna wire brush that ground ring in post #56? Like I know anything at all about electrical stuff. Ha ha.

Doing any track days this year?
                            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                              You gonna wire brush that ground ring in post #56? Like I know anything at all about electrical stuff. Ha ha.

Doing any track days this year?
                              I dunno, cost per day is high. To get enough laps and develop skills, takes more than 4 tracks days.
                              I am blazing up and down all the best country roads near me, playing Irish road racer.
                              The old G is still a blast to ride that way, I pretend I'm Mike Hailwood.
                              Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 06-01-2022, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Back on the road, did 30 hooligan miles this morning.
                                Thanks a bunch Redman for giving me the bevel gears!

PDOcj4Y.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X