Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wurring sound… from trans or final drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope you locate the problem, but if you are only going 35 mph at 2700-3000 rpm in 5th gear, you DEFINITELY have a problem of some sort.

Because the bike is an '82, the splines in the rear wheel are also suspect, but they don't usually "wurr" (whir), they just let go and you DON'T go.

Comment

Looks like the Driven Shaft nut can be seen if the rubber sleeve is pulled back.

I have a pdf copy of the Suzuki Service Manual.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
        Looks like the Driven Shaft nut can be seen if the rubber sleeve is pulled back.

I have a pdf copy of the Suzuki Service Manual.
        Here is a PDF of a driven gear repair made on a 650. Question for the forum: does the 1100 fail in the same way as shown here? If it does, looking at the nut may not tell the story. I'm not sure how to test.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

On the jack:
          Pulling the rubber sleeve back I see no bad. Minimal slack in final drive.
          Rocking the rear wheel back and forth in 1st gear, all the slack is to my left, Secondary Bevel Gear and trans area.
          Secondary gear oil is at normal level, 3700 miles since gear oil changed to Valvoline synthetic 75-140 (limited slip).

A couple 78 skunks have shown up for sale… considering buying one and transferring all my bolt on improvements.
          Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 08-13-2021, 10:00 AM.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

On the jack:
            Pulling the rubber sleeve back I see no bad. Minimal slack in final drive.
            Rocking the rear wheel back and forth in 1st gear, all the slack is to my left, Secondary Bevel Gear and trans area.
            Secondary gear oil is at normal level, 3700 miles since gear oil changed to Valvoline synthetic 75-140 (limited slip).

A couple 78 skunks have shown up for sale… considering buying one and transferring all my bolt on improvements.
            I'd guess a collapsed bearing or spacer in the right angle gearset.

Comment

Looks like my only parts source is ebay salvage.
              Ok, changed the gear oil and did another test ride.
              The wurr comes on between 2000 to 3000 rpm in 4th and 5th gear only.
              Decided to just ride it and monitor any change.
              Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 08-13-2021, 07:46 PM.

Comment

The problem I had (which doesn’t seem to be the symptoms you are describing) was that treaded end of the driven gear breaking off. Can be detected by reaching inside the boot, and can slide the two flanges (one on secondary, one on shaft, bolted together) back and forth about 3/8 - 1/2 an inch. It should only spin around with the shaft when shaft turns, but not slide back and forth at all.

was not going to confuse things with the posting of failure I had, since doesn’t seem to be what you are describing. But will see if I can find that posting and send you a link.
                Last edited by Redman; 08-13-2021, 09:24 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

//////QUOTE
                  • Buffalo Bill has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

///////EndQUOTE

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

. . . . .
                    Not really, it is kinda inside the flange on the secondary and the flange on the shaft that are bolted together. You dont see it untill you unbolt those two flanges from each other, and pull off the swing arm.
                    Is More that I can say. . . . but lets better identify the specifics of your situation.

Eeessschh, I am not that much of a gearhead to be giving such advise. I only know a few things from having had a problem with these secondary gears.
                    Last edited by Redman; 08-13-2021, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Here is a PDF of a driven gear repair made on a 650. Question for the forum: does the 1100 fail in the same way as shown here? If it does, looking at the nut may not tell the story. I'm not sure how to test.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...pair_zooks.pdf
                      Yes.

ANd test by seeing if the flanges slide back and forth any (if threaded end broke the flanges will slide back and forth about 3/8th inch or a little more) and when it does that when running then the u-joint is not inline with the pivot point of the swingarm and then stuff is not just spinning it is kinda orbiting around.... or something like that.

Yes, That threaded shaft on the back of the driven gear can break off. And when unbolt the two flanges and pull back the swing arm, that nut can fall out on the floor, with the broken off threaded shaft in it. That was quite a sight when I saw that, and I really did not understand what I was seeing. But then I slowly came to understand it.
                      (And , oh, bye the way: I feel strange, me trying to explain something like this. I am not gear head.)

And that repair/modification described in the PDF is called "Zooks repair" (after the author of that pdf.)

BUt, we have yet to determine is this is BUffalo Bills problem. SO far has only stated a whiring sound.
                      Last edited by Redman; 08-13-2021, 10:24 PM. Reason: nut falls out, not bolt

Comment

On the jack:
                        Pulling the rubber sleeve back I see no bad. Minimal slack in final drive...
                        That is what I said in 2017. Then Brian said "But can you push the flanges forward and back?" . . . .

I dont mean wheel and shaft spinning in forward and back as the rear wheel turns forward and back.... I mean slide the flanges (and ujoint) forward (toward front) on the spines and back (toward back of bike) on the spines. It should not. If it does, well, that is the broken off threaded end of the driven gear.

On mine, I had to get the rubber boot back further so I could get a couple fingers of one hand on one side and couple fingers of other hand other on other side, then push toward front bike and then toward back of bike. Then I could push the flanges (and ujoint) forward and back about 3/8th of inch. Brian said "that bad. Threaded shaft broken off the driven gear." I didn't really understand, but knew meant I was disassembling things further, so I did. . . . . then I understood better.
                        Last edited by Redman; 08-13-2021, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                          But can you push the flanges forward and back. . . .

I dont mean wheel and shaft spinning in forward and back as the rear wheel turns forward and back.... I mean slide the flanges (and ujoint) forward (toward front) on the spines and back (toward back of bike) on the spines. It should not. If it does, well, that is the broken off threaded end of the driven gear.
                          I'll try that, but when I put my finger in there and spun the back wheel, it looked and sounded tight, no burn odor, no slack, no problemo.

Comment

I am starting to feel something like this, I been wondering if the road pavement is developing washboard bumps like gravel roads do. Our local roads are way overdue for repaving, the State of Michigan ain't got no money.
                            From Redman:
                            "Now in recent weeks I have been noticing something of a small shutter sometime when let off the throttle. Happens more at higher rpm. Just a short little shutter, somewhat like ran over a mini-rumble strip, but not comming from the tires."
                            thread link: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ight=secondary
                            Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 08-14-2021, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Looks like my only parts source is ebay salvage.
                              Ok, changed the gear oil and did another test ride.
                              The wurr comes on between 2000 to 3000 rpm in 4th and 5th gear only.
                              Decided to just ride it and monitor any change.
                              The points of highest torque loading. Bearing going bad is my pick now.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                                The points of highest torque loading. Bearing going bad is my pick now.
                                Thanks Greg, any idea the likely bearing? There's 2 bearings on the driven gear pinion shaft.
                                Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 08-14-2021, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X