Oil consumption, time for a rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil consumption, time for a rebuild?

Just finished a 1,200 km ride on my 1982 GS650G. I always ride with a litre of oil in the saddle bags, and on this trip the bike consumed a full litre of 10W40. My mates riding close behind said they only saw a slight puff of smoke when I was accelerating hard, otherwise the exhaust is clear. The spark plugs are not oily or black. There is a lot of rattle and clicking at idle. I’ve had the valve clearance adjusted and cam chain tension set. There are no oil leaks, so clearly the oil is being burned off. My mechanic did the compression test and said it’s good (I have to find his report) but also says the top end is tired. There’s only 42,000 km on the clock, 12k of that is me, but who knows how the past owner treated the bike.

What am I looking at? Head off, valve guides and valves renewed, cam chain and tensioner replaced, anything else?
    1982 Suzuki GS650G

Seems a little excessive, but as long as you don't run it too low, it's more of an aggravation than anything. I'd probably try some good 20W50. I did that on an "80" GS1000 "G" by dealers advise & it used noticeable less than the 10W40.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
      Seems a little excessive, but as long as you don't run it too low, it's more of an aggravation than anything. I'd probably try some good 20W50. I did that on an "80" GS1000 "G" by dealers advise & it used noticeable less than the 10W40.
      Good idea, I'll give that a go, thanks. The bike's like a two stroke, lol, always have some oil handy.
      1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Yes, try a different make or grade. It's quite possible the one you're using may be prone to high-temp evaporative loss, especially in an air-cooled lump.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

.83ml per click
          4 to 5 drops of oil per cyl per km

A good red neck valve seal change is something to try
          Had a friend did it on an old car and by golly it worked.
          Saves a load of expensive basketry etc.

Needs air forced into cyl under pressure. Lotsa YouTube no doubt

Hell just do one cyl and see if the consumption roughly decreases by a quarter

Plugs no show any variation at all?
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
            Yes, try a different make or grade. It's quite possible the one you're using may be prone to high-temp evaporative loss, especially in an air-cooled lump.
            Also a long trip at full op temp always seems to lower oil. Partial blowby thinning oil?
            Id go up a grade as well. Even try a snake oil additive to swell tired valve seals
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Given the fact that there is soooooo much talk on the subject of oils and the need to avoid oils that contain additives that are not conducive with our older machines and the wet clutches, just what brand are you willing to try in the 20w50 class?
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Ask 20 people, probably get 20 different answers & none will be wrong...Since the late 70's. I've always used Castrol GTX, & don't know why just always stuck with it, maybe because a Plymouth GTX was always my dream car.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Yes, Castrol GTX 20-50 was my brand in the '70's and '80's. If they still make it (the same), I'd still use it in my '70's and '80's motorcycles.

My '73 Kaw 903 Z1 used almost a quart every tankful. No big deal - had the centerstand and a nice clear sight glass.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                    Yes, Castrol GTX 20-50 was my brand in the '70's and '80's. If they still make it (the same), I'd still use it in my '70's and '80's motorcycles.

My '73 Kaw 903 Z1 used almost a quart every tankful. No big deal - had the centerstand and a nice clear sight glass.
                    Self changing oil what a concept
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                      Given the fact that there is soooooo much talk on the subject of oils and the need to avoid oils that contain additives that are not conducive with our older machines and the wet clutches, just what brand are you willing to try in the 20w50 class?
                      My old ‘69 Triumph 500 ran on Castrol 20w50 regular motorcycle oil for twelve years. Perhaps I’ll try that.

My local options are https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/autom...cycle-oil.html

What about adding this stuff? Will it make the clutch slip? https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/l...0260p.html#srp
                      Last edited by Admiral Beez; 08-13-2021, 08:54 PM.
                      1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                        Self changing oil what a concept
                        Yes. My oil never got old. Die young, stay pretty.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Beez View Post
                          My old ‘69 Triumph 500 ran on Castrol 20w50 regular motorcycle oil for twelve years. Perhaps I’ll try that.

My local options are https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/autom...cycle-oil.html

What about adding this stuff? Will it make the clutch slip? https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/l...0260p.html#srp
                          I suspect the Royal Purple Max Cycle 10w40 might be good for evaporation resistance, but without looking at the figures, I'm just barfing into the wind.
                          If it were me, I'd have a look on Bobistheoilguy.com and just try to get performance figures, doing a comparison between the current oil and say, the RP.
                          BITOG denizens are sometimes full of sh1t, but a lot of them have some idea what they're talking about, and if you're not actually burning or leaking oil, it might just be fixable by a change to something with High-Temp, High-Shear resistance.
                          Unless you actually have leaky seals, the Lucas anti-leak will do no good, as it's just a seal sweller. Even then, it's just to buy time if you're putting a junker into the auction.
                          Last edited by Grimly; 08-14-2021, 03:02 PM.
                          ---- Dave
                          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I went for a 500 km ride last weekend and I have to say the oil consumption using heavier 15-50 synthetic was reduced. Here’s my plugs after the ride. The two inside plugs seems to run leaner, or cleaner. One of the outside plugs is sootier.
                            1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Get a very good, or do a very good valve job and be sure to use new valve seals, and new valves if needed.
                              Not a cheap valve lap with drill…barf
                              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                              X