GS450 vs GS500e service accessibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 vs GS500e service accessibility?

Any opinions here from folks who have done their own servicing as to whether a GS450 is more accessible for servicing compared to a GS500e? The GS500e's frame looks like it might get in the way of access to the carbs etc? Any input would be appreciated!

The 500 is newer and therefor less in need of service than a 450. Ultimately though, whichever bike is in better condition would be the better choice. Some people can wreck a bike in short order out of neglect so you can't trust age or mileage entirely when making a decision.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Minor thought, parts should be more available for a 30 yr. old (GS500) than a 40 yr. old (GS450) bike.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

"Nessism" and yourself have given me welcome, sound advice. Thank You! The way it usually works for me will be that my choice will be anything but simple.
        Condition will matter, but of course, will it be cosmetic or something in the bottom end of the engine. If it's something mechanical, will I be able to fix it myself?
        How expensive will the repairs be, cosmetic or mechanical?
        I favor the appearance of the GS450 and especially the "S", "T" and "E" models. I would suffer with an "L" model as I'm hoping the gas tank switches over, I can probably do some customizing work with the side covers and handlebars are a cinch, even for me. The seat I would worry about later on.
        Parts availability is, of course, a concern but I have been riding a Yamaha XS650 until very recently so I'm aware of the problems driving an ancient bike.
        I'd hate to buy a GS500e and come to find out, valve adjustments and carburetor work is a nightmare.
        On the other hand, per "Nessism's" advice, a newer model is less apt to need repairs but when it does ... would I have been better off buying a bike that's more service friendly which brings me around to my original question.
        Strictly from a service and repair standpoint, which model could be considered easier to service, or is there no difference?
        Last edited by Boogywstew; 08-14-2021, 04:56 PM.

Comment

The engine on the GS450 and GS500 are almost exactly the same, so engine work won't be much different. The valve check procedure is identical. Carbs will be slightly different but basically the same unless you get a 2004+ GS500 that has more modern emissions equipment.

Working on and finding parts for the GS500 will be far easier as it has been in production for 32 years (still in production in Columbia) vs the GS450 that has been out of production for 40 years and was only produced for a few years. If you want to actually ride/put miles on the bike go with the GS500 by far. Along with better parts availability, the GS500 has more power, better suspension and a much better frame. The electrical components will also be more reliable on the GS500.

Also the GS500 has the GStwins forum that is entirely dedicated to that specific machine, so years of model specific experience and help.
          Last edited by bluesmudge; 08-16-2021, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Sounds like my time would be well spent at the GS Twins forum. Therefore, I shall go there! Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Getting to the carbs, dealing with the airbox, doing valve checks, and suchlike are different, but I wouldn't say one is a lot harder than the other.

The fuel valve arrangement on the GS500 is kinda weird.

Buy whichever is in the best shape and/or floats your boat more.

There are a lot more GS500s and parts around.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

This is what I was interested in. It does sort of sound like it's a "six of one, half dozen of another" situation. Thanks for the input!

Comment

Working...
                X