Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update

been a bit, here's an update.

the GS is mainly done, it runs great no sounds from the engine no inconsistent idle and reacts just fine. All there is left is rebuilding the forks and getting the brakes a little stiffer which none are needed it'd just get it mechanically sound, that might sound a bit surprising to say being that it took me just about 2 years to almost finish the bike, but my idea of finished really means finished. before the bike I had no actual knowledge of working on a real machine so everything I know is all from that, but the work really shows that I learned all I needed to know to get this bike right where it should be. Glad I can say I finished what I started and glad I could get help from all of you, im not going to name people off because im sure everyone who followed has seen who helped, and I dont want to miss naming somebody who contributed. thank you all for the help!

and another thing, I did all of this, just to start over! as of today i am the owner of a 1982 Yamaha Virago 750 and like last time this one is not running, I figured I got the GS going good, why not get this one going good aswell, and this time I actually know a thing or two, now lets put it to the test.

I actually was a fan of these before I found this specific bike, great thumper and looks good, actually the first motorcycle I rode was a 81 Virago 750 so this one might stay.
    Attached Files
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Attached Files
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Attached Files
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
        ... this time I actually know a thing or two, ...

..., great thumper ...
        Nice that you got your GS done, but you obviously still have a thing or THREE to learn.

The Virago is NOT a "thumper". A thumper is a large-displacement SINGLE cylinder bike.

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
          A thumper is a large-displacement SINGLE cylinder bike.
          That's what I thought.

And Billy Joel raved about the Virago when it first came out. Said he'd "never touch a Harley again."
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

you guys are right lol I just don't know a better word to use.

pretty cool never knew that and I have a few of his records, be even cooler if that was the bike in moving out!
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
              you guys are right lol I just don't know a better word to use.
              The "word" is V-twin.

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
                The "word" is V-twin.
                yeah, obviously. was using slang it has a nice thumping sound to it.
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                X