Scotland NC500 on a GS850GN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotland NC500 on a GS850GN

I've been using this forum to help me get my bike fit and now it's time to share the fun.
    I live in Cornwall UK (Lands End) and thought a likkle trip to Scotland (John o Groats) would be a perfect trip during these uncertain times. I rode to Wye Valley in wales, up to the Lake district then on to Glasgow. From Glasgow to Inverness where I picked up the NC500 route to John O Groats. My mates had a 1904 ketch sailing around the Outer Hebrides so I caught up with them in Oban and then snaked up the West coast of Scotland to Ullapool via the Isle of Skye.
    It's a fantastic country with lonely snaking roads and some breathtaking passes. I wild camped and got a cheap bunk house when the weather demanded. I'll share some photos but just to say that the whole of the UK off of the motorways is really astonishingly beautiful. I pointed home via the Cairngorns, Newcastle Upon Tyne, the Yorkshire Dales and Nottingham where I stumbled upon a biker fest to finish off my trip.
    The GS never let me down and loaded with some whiskey in the panniers, i'll re live this adventure with every wee dram!
    Cheers fellas!
    (P.S. my carb manifolds are a bit broken now. Anyone know of some supplier for a GS850GN?)
    Travel wide my friends!

Pasty.
    Attached Files

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Cool, Are you far from St Just and Sennen Cove? It's all lovely round those parts.
      Carb rubbers: 80-83 SUZUKI GS850 INTAKE SET INSULATOR 4 INTAKES INCLUDED | CRUZINIMAGE.NET
      Top quality, I use these suppliers all the time.
      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

He's got a GN, 79.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Lovely story and refreshingly brief. Obviously you're not a self promoter.
          Thank you and pass the bottle if you please. ; )
          Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 08-16-2021, 08:48 PM.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Good on yer for taking the time and making the effort - I remember that Scottish sky.......
            Looking forward to more photos.
            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

And I thought NC500 was an undersquare Honda. Learn something new everyday.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastychamp View Post
                sailing around the Outer Hebrides so I caught up with them in Oban and then snaked up the West coast of Scotland to Ullapool via the Isle of Skye.

I pointed home via the Cairngorns, Newcastle Upon Tyne, the Yorkshire Dales and Nottingham
                I feel like I just watched a scene from Lord of the rings......
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks for sharing your story pastychamp.

Thanks Rich, for reposting that beautiful pic.

I was stationed at RAF Whetherfield & RAF Mildenhall from Feb89 to Sep93 and married a Scottish lass who’s family migrated from Coatbridge, which is just outside of Glasgow.

Of course during our courtship, we drove up to Edinburg and did the bed & breakfast thing. We also visited my future wife’s auntie Lottie in Coatbridge. The drive from RAF Whethersfield in Essex to Edinburg was great! Beautiful countryside the closer we got to Scotland.

Lately, our family has been talking up another Eurotrip (we went to Ireland in 2019) and visit southwest England. There is so much to see and even living there for 4.5 years was not enough time to see it all.

Let us know how you get on with your bike.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Cheers Grimly. Appreciate the link. Hopefully I can source in the UK but there's definitely more love for the GS State-side.

Comment

Yeh, that ride from Hayle to Lands End along the North Coast is epic ( apart from school summer holidays when it's full of @#* caravans)

Comment

The Isle of Skye, next to the Fairy Pools. I'm not making this up! Skye.jpg

Comment

Nice! Looks like you had decent weather too! How were the midges up there? I used to go up to the Oban area a lot as a kid...
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                            Nice! Looks like you had decent weather too! How were the midges up there? I used to go up to the Oban area a lot as a kid...
                            Oh gawd..... the midges.....
                            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Such nice country. I haven't ridden there, but I've driven all over Scotland and loved so many spots.
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X