Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
    Oh gawd..... the midges.....
    Seemples, just stand downwind of a smokey campfire.

I heard a recommendation to dose up with vitamin B6 as a deterrent, but never tried it.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post

I heard a recommendation to dose up with vitamin B6 as a deterrent, but never tried it.
      A more recent study found no support for that strategy.

Vitamin B is often recommended in the popular media as a systemic repellent against mosquitoes. This information is especially prevalent on the Web. The results of a small number of published studies suggested that vitamin B complex supplements are not effective as repellents, but these studies were …
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16033124/
        I was afraid it was gonna tell me the smoke didnt work.
        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16033124/
          That's not the Scottish midge, and you'll notice I said specifically B6.
          The proponent of that strategy had recommended it to others, some of whom found it didn't work. Fair enough, most of these midge remedies or deterrents don't work for everyone. However, it transpired that the people who'd reported it not working for them had been talked into taking a different concoction of B vitamins and something else. In other words, not B6.
          As I said, I've not tried it, so it's just a third-hand tale on the internet, take it as you wish.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The study used both B complex and individual B vitamins and found no evidence that they do anything.

Here's another look at this. Sure, mosquitos may not be Scottish midges, but the entomological evidence is that B6 is just an old wives' tale.

The attractiveness level of a person to biting insects depends on how various complex factors interact. While foods may help repel insects, there is no scientific proof that supports vitamin B6 as an insect repellent. In fact, one study dispels the myth. The University of Wisconsin performed an experiment whereby volunteers take either vitamin B pills or placebos. The researchers then exposed these individuals to mosquitoes and found that the vitamin B had no effect on mosquito attraction.

Some insects become a nuisance to people, especially if they bite like mosquitoes do. Over time, people have developed various home remedies to keep nuisance insects away. Some home remedies include dryer sheets, mouthwash, dish-washing liquid and alcohol.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              I'd need to stand in the fire to keep them off me - yep, I'm one of those they deem especially attractive...
              -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

The midgies were horrendous past Skye. ! had a face net which kept the little buggers off but I got owned! Turns out the 'Wingman of the road' bivvy and it's fly screen was engineered too large for Scottish midgie exclusion so when I surrendered and went to lie down, there was a swarm trying to get out! I reckon neat deet next time... and a bottle of J.D for a pain suppressent is always in my medi kit!

Comment

Cheers Grimly, just purchased.

Comment

The study used both B complex and individual B vitamins and found no evidence that they do anything.

Here's another look at this. Sure, mosquitos may not be Scottish midges, but the entomological evidence is that B6 is just an old wives' tale.

The attractiveness level of a person to biting insects depends on how various complex factors interact. While foods may help repel insects, there is no scientific proof that supports vitamin B6 as an insect repellent. In fact, one study dispels the myth. The University of Wisconsin performed an experiment whereby volunteers take either vitamin B pills or placebos. The researchers then exposed these individuals to mosquitoes and found that the vitamin B had no effect on mosquito attraction.

https://homesteady.com/12576328/is-v...sect-repellent
                    Do you think it might help to take along some "old wives" and let them swish their tales to keep away the bugs?
                    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
                    X