Adamdaz and his GS650GLX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adamdaz and his GS650GLX

Hi all - I've been reading this forum for about a week in anticipation of buying a 1981 GS650GL. This is a project bike that was formerly someone else's attempt to make a cafe racer. Luckily, the PO didn't make one or two of the top 10 noob mistakes. He saved most of the OEM parts, and I'm fairly confident that I can get this riding yet this fall.

Here are some photos of the basket case...

Shorty Renthal bars, which I may keep. The rear fender is just sitting in place.
    The shorty rear shocks will have to go. I'm 6'4" and this will have to be moded so I can ride it easily.

Part of the basket of parts. There is a good condition original seat (great seat pan) that is just out of the photo. You can also see part of the original bars laying on a HD Sportster seat that came in the basket. Also original mirrors, cafe hoop, and best of all the original air cleaner and intake box. I need a new filter, but I have the filter basket.

Also came with an OEM sissy bar. Not sure about that thing... Maybe the good front fender shows here too? That is the OEM tool kit sitting withing the sissy bar frame.

This captures the reason this was for sale. PO tried to go with pod filters and couldn't get it to run. He said they rebuilt the carbs twice, but it still wasn't running. Here's hoping they changes only gaskets and not jets. The two "mechanics" didn't say they rejetted this for the pod filters, so I think I have a good chance to get it running going back to the original air box.

I kinda like the looks of the sportster seat on the 650. It adds some height, but may be difficult to attach correctly. I may modify the seat and remove the "L" hump to create long flat seat. This also shows the new paint (professionally done in a corvette bronze color). I'll get the side covers too, but don't know if they will include the chrome portions.

16k miles and the gear indicators work. It has sat for several months with a battery attached and hasn't drained it, so that gives me hope there is not too much wrong with the electrical system. The rear turn signals are missing, but I didn't like those too much anyway. I think I will try to convert to all LED lights and reduce their size throughout (except the headlight - that is a good size and already LED).

There's the OEM seat. There is also the new ignition on the bike. That was an attempt to get it to run on pod filters that didn't work.

A bit of cleaning, some good maintenance, and I think I'll have a reasonable ride.

I am interested in what some of you taller riders have done to ride the smaller GS's - besides getting a bigger GS. That may be in my future, but I'll try this first. I think I paid a reasonable price and should be able to get a return on my investment if this is ultimately too small.

Hopefully these photos will come through. I look forward to being on this forum.

adamdaz (Adam D, originally from Arizona, now in New Castle, PA)
    81 GS650GL

Welcome Adam, from a fellow PA member.

Great intro. And you’ve created a signature, and you’ve got posting pictures down. Kudos.

You’re in the right place to get this project moving. Sound like you’ve already got a good plan in the works.

Theres another member, storm 64 (Norm), just over the border from you in Youngstown, OH. If you need any hands-on help, hit him up. He’s helped out lots of folks, including me.

If you haven’t already, check out BikeCliffs Website and the Top 10 Newbie Mistakes Thread. Both are linked in my signature.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks Rich - nice to meet you. I've read both of your suggestions - great info! Glad to be part of an active forum (and no longer a lurker).
      81 GS650GL

Comment

Bike is in good shape. I too look forward to watching you put the bike back together. I didn't know they made a 650GLX. My guess would be just a 650L. Did it come with hard cases?

Make sure you go over the basics, carbs, intake boots, ignition and the dreaded charging system. I tried to upgrade the charging system on any GS I own as it's just a good idea... Too many times have I been stuck on the side of the road because of it in the past.

Once running well these bikes are tougher than coffin nails .

Best of luck,!
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
          Bike is in good shape. I too look forward to watching you put the bike back together. I didn't know they made a 650GLX. My guess would be just a 650L. Did it come with hard cases?

Make sure you go over the basics, carbs, intake boots, ignition and the dreaded charging system. I tried to upgrade the charging system on any GS I own as it's just a good idea... Too many times have I been stuck on the side of the road because of it in the past.

Once running well these bikes are tougher than coffin nails .

Best of luck,!

Thanks Jedz.

As for the model, it really depends on where you look I think. GL650GL is the accepted model. That extra X comes in place because it is a 1981 model year. Interestingly, when I look for parts, I don't include the X. But insurance companies only recognize the model with the X.

I have looked at everything that you mention. Please follow my progress here:

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
          81 GS650GL

Comment

That Lund is a good fishing boat, lol!

Welcome to the forum. Fun project you have going. Be careful with the LEDs. Others have run into (solvable, not fatal) electrical issues going that route.

Yes, the X is a model year thing, just like my 650G is a GD (D for 1983)
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
              That Lund is a good fishing boat, lol!

Welcome to the forum. Fun project you have going. Be careful with the LEDs. Others have run into (solvable, not fatal) electrical issues going that route.
              Thanks on both counts. I'll look into LED issues to see what I'm up against.
              81 GS650GL

Comment

Working...
              X