No announcement yet.

Rust-o-ration or rust-o-mod - GS650GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rich beat me on the posting, but yeah, a Triumph cable works well for the connection.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

My weekend update...

My Morgan carbtune arrived on Friday, so I've been messing with that a bit. I've gotten it running better, with 3 of 4 carbs vacuum synced. Took a bit of tweaking, as they all started with no vacuum registering on the carbtune. Now, only cylinder 3 has no vacuum. I'll need to tweak them more to get them all in line. I made myself a little sync adjusting tool by welding one of those many extra Allan wrenches that I accumulate to a spare socket. A slotted screwdriver will fit through the socket to hold the adjustment screw while the tool is used to tighted the lock nut.

I also took apart the original seat in anticipation of modifying it. The seat pan was in pretty good shape, so I wire brushed what rust was there and sprayed it with rust restorer to inhibit from getting worse.

I'm looking forward to many parts showing up this week and moving this project into high gear.

Larry and Rich - Thanks for the info on the stator. I ordered a Caltric stator and should have that this week. I could not for the life of me figure out what Triumph connectors to get. I couldn't find part numbers, a relevant bike with the SH775, or links to them. I've given up and decided to just use male fittings and make my own connector. That is in part because I'm putting out a bunch of cash on this thing so far.

I have one original piece of hardware from this bike that I won't be using.

I have a couple of questions for folks. First, have ever seen interested in such a sissy bar? If so, I'll put it up for sale cheap. Second, what are the cheapest shocks that I could (should) put on this. PO lowered the bike and that just won't work for me.

Thanks.
      81 GS650GL

Comment

Adam
        Sorry, I should have linked the Triumph connector in my earlier post. It is part #T2500676.
        I think this is where I bought mine.
        Triumph Link Lead, Regulator (T2500676) is used in Starter & Alternator assembly for 2011 Triumph Street Triple, Starter & Alternator assembly for 2012 Triumph Street Triple R and Starter & Alternator assembly for 2012 Triumph Street Triple
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          Adam
          It is part #T2500676.
          I think this is where I bought mine.
          http://www.adeptpowersports.com/oem-...0676-part.html
          Thanks Rich!
          81 GS650GL

Comment

I've gotten my 650 to run smoothly now. A bit more tuning of the carbs and it purrs. Here's the carbtune at the end.

I also worked on adding LED tail and turn signals today. They also work well. I know there are multiple posts on this forum that describe how to add diodes to the circuit to get LEDs to function properly. I have diodes on order, and plan to install them. Another easy way to get them to work is to remove the signal light from the instrument panel. This separates the left and right circuit entirely. Add in a LED ready blinder, and you are running. This of course won't allow you to know your signal is on when you are riding, so not the most elegant solution, but the quickest. Here is an image of both the tail light and the turn signal on a left turn. They both incorporate the turn signal, with the separate signal indicators progressively lighting up. The effect is really nice because it looks like the tail light starts the progression, which then moves onto the signal indicator. I have the same indicators up front too.

Finally, here is a sneak preview of how the bike. I installed the new petcock today and put on the tank and side covers.

81 GS650GL

Comment

So, I didn't finish this up as quickly as I would have liked to. I was diagnosed with COVID a week ago (breakthrough infection - I had the pfizer vaccine) and got a bit sick. Glad I was vaccinated, otherwise I might have been in the hospital.

After a bit of recovery, and to keep myself sane while I maintain isolation from my wife and kids (which really s*cks) I have been slowly working on the bike. My progress includes:
              finishing the brakes
              installing diodes to get the turn signals to function correctly (I have 18 more if anyone needs a couple)
              replacing and balancing tires (Shinko 712s)
              shocks
              stator and SH775 R/R (now it charges itself)
              cleaning wiring contacts
              flattening the seat and sewing up a new cover (amaterrish at best, functional at worst)
              converting a sissy bar to a cargo rack (yep, heat and large pry tool - off the bike)

I'll add photos tomorrow.

Only a few more things to do.
              81 GS650GL

Comment

Finally finished up this project. Today's short list was replacing one of the rear wheel bearings, installing a new handlebar (slightly taller than the one that came with it, and putting on a pelican case as a top case. The third picture down shows the modified sissy bar. I used some heat to bend the 1/2 square bar almost 90 degrees back to create a mount for the pelican case. I don't think much is pretty here, but I think it will be quite fun and functional.

81 GS650GL

Comment

I've been working on this project over the fall and winter. First, I removed the Pelican top case. Then I redid the paint. After a bit, I realized I didn't like the bronze paint the PO put on. It is now a Toyota blue paint. I also added a wind screen and changed to bar-end mirrors. I also put the stock rear light back on.

I rode the bike this way for a bit, and then winter hit. From there I've been working on a couple of other improvements. First, there was a consistent smoking when I started it up, so I've been slowly working on replacing the valve stem seals. I also added handlebar risers, changed the mirrors back to the standard position. I also replaced all of the seals on the carbs, in an attempt to figure out why there was quite a bit of vibration. I found a broken air mixture screw and ended up replacing that entire carb. I also redid the led turn signals, putting on DOT approved lights. Finally, over the last week, I did the whole seat from foam to cover ( https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...eat-De-humping ).

I've also been working on cleaning up the tarnished aluminum around the bike, but that isn't really apparent in any of the photos I have so far. I like the direction this bike has been heading toward (as if it's transforming on it's own). More photos as I proceed.
                  81 GS650GL

Comment

Looks like I said I finished this project a while back. But I didn't know then that I hadn't finished yet. I was going to say it's finished now, but I won't commit to that again. I love tinkering... As you can tell from some of the last photos, I did a few more updates and upgrades. Some of what I didn't mention were upgrades to the suspension that included new springs (Sonic Springs) and fork oil and a decent set of YSS rear shocks. Now the bike is setup to my weight and rides quite nice. I also finished cleaning up the shiny parts on the bike just to make it look a bit better. That included R&R the exhaust to clean it up, fenders, and some rough cleaning of the aluminum. I also confirmed today that valve guide seals stopped the smoking that I was getting at startup. The seat that I upgraded with foam and a cover are also quite comfortable. I also made a tank and rear fender bag to hold a few things for my jaunts around. The fender bag is perfect to hold the liner for my riding jacket, in case it rains or gets a bit cold. The tank bag is designed to hold a water bottle and lunch if needed. It also holds the garage door openers.

Here's how my 6'4" pudgy frame fits on the bike. I'm comfortable, have configured it so the reach to the bars is comfortable, but there is not even enough room behind me for my youngest daughter. Maybe that's why she is sticking her tongue out?

Now it's ready for just riding.
                    81 GS650GL

Comment

Working...
                    X