great day yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great day yesterday

Well, I passed a milestone yesterday with my new (old) bike, with help from members and all the info here on the forums. I finished a complete teardown and rebuild of my carbs, rejetted for new K&N filters, finished valve clearance adjustment, and set ignition timing / point gaps. The hardest part was all the waiting for various parts during the process, which stretched it out quite a bit.

Got it all back together and it fired up and ran great--smoke from 1/2 exhaust is gone, set the air screws for highest idle, and all four exhaust pipe temps measured basically even across the board. Now on to the rest of the tuning process, and waiting for brake parts from UK before I can actually ride. Sigh.

Feels great! Thanks everyone.
    1978 GS 750 E
    1979 XS11 Standard
    1973 CB450

Great feeling, ain't it??? Congrats
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Congrats, Forden.
      Why did you have to order from the UK?
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        Congrats, Forden.
        Why did you have to order from the UK?
        Technically I'm ordering today. I have searched high and low for front caliper parts for my bike--the only rebuild kit I've found that matches is from Brake master in UK. I posted a thread about that in the brake/chassis forum. I wish I had other options because the kit is way overpriced in my opinion. Pistons are a bit more readily available it seems.

I tried brake crafters and the customer service (at least by email) was terrible. They ignored my questions THREE TIMES about a kit they said would fit (it wouldn't). I suppose I could try to call them and see if I get any actual help.
        1978 GS 750 E
        1979 XS11 Standard
        1973 CB450

Comment

Front caliper piston boots and seals for a '78 750E, appear to be available at Partzilla. What more do you need?
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
            Front caliper piston boots and seals for a '78 750E, appear to be available at Partzilla. What more do you need?
            Thanks. I do need pistons too, and wanted to replace everything--there are four holder boots (not two) and two o-rings inside the caliper holders (not shown in the partzilla diagram). Powerhouse sent this handy image diagram to illustrate that there are two almost identical calipers with some difference of parts (mine is type 2):
            s-l1600.jpg
            This is the only kit I've found that has all of it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/163252808943?ul_noapp=true

I'd be happy to get everything from multiple sources to reduce the cost if I could be confident it all was right for what I've got. Searching has kinda made my head spin...
            1978 GS 750 E
            1979 XS11 Standard
            1973 CB450

Comment

Working...
            X