Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jedz gets a GS550E

Greetings dudes
    So I came across a 1978 GS550E, nearly complete for $1200. I decided that I'd at least take a look as I'm looking to acquire and keep a near stock/restored Chain Drive I-4 GS for some time. I kept coming across Shafty 650's and I did find a 79 GS750E however the exhaust was all wrapped, it was painted an nom stock color and was missing bother side covers...
    So found my GS550E, tank is immaculate, has both side covers chrome fender has no rust or demts and the gauges and lights all work. Needs tires, chain, fluids, plugs and such. The bike was on the road 8 years ago. Oh and it runs although kinda poorly. Guy wanted $1200 for it. I told him I was looking for a stock bike and the 4-1 and silly saddleman was not helping in the value department. I talked him down to $500 and once we shook on it I made arrangements to return the next day to buy it

I do want to retain a stock looking bike although I am contemplating going down the 673cc upgrade route. Goal is to have a bike as quick if not a touch quicker than my first GS750. I just want a near looking original Suzuki GS that goes quickly and happily down the road .. yes I'm on the prowl for stock GS bits to upp the front braking, yes I'm on the prowl for a 650 block, pistons and head, yes I'm looking to drop the 4-1 for a stock good 4-2 system if I can find one. I did order 550E seat and seat cover for $100 through fleaBay. We will see, I just picked up a battery and I'll go through the stock VM carbs and get it to run.

I'll post pics when I get home.

Best,
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Welcome back Justin. Looking forward to the progress. I think I saw your FB post on this.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Jedz!

Cool story...can't wait for pics.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Sounds like a great deal -- and you can make it greater. I've got a GS550C from earlier in the year. I've kept it pretty much stock -- just a rear seat back with rack and an oil cooler.
        Keep us posted.
        sigpic
        '77 GS550B
        '78 GS550C

Comment

Aaah, cool man. They are definitely good looking bikes. Looking forward to progress pics and ride reports.
          I'm sure that you're aware, but if you're not, Chuck78 on here is very well versed on engine parts swap-ability if you do the 673.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I posted a video of the bike on my YouTube channel.

Yes I have reached out to and been in touch with Chuck. I think I'll be tackling that project over the winter.
            I'll be doing some subtle upgrades. Looking for a 4-2 exhuast... Twin disc brake upgrade. Want to keep it as stock looking as possible.
            We will see how it goes! I'll keep the progress updated here.
            Best,
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Good job, Jedz!

Thanks for the video.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

JEDZ -- does it have a 6 speed gearbox ?
                I took my motorcycle license test on that bike in 1978 --
                MY 1978 Honda CX500 was too small and would've gotten a limited license (at the time)
                You had to test on a 550 or bigger (back then a 750 was enormous)
                My friend had that bike so I borrowed it the DMV test station and passed without a limited license

Currently in the Stable :
                2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Yes it has a 6 speed!
                  It's running quite well I swapped out the rear tire and chain last night. So smooth for an old bike, amazing how much better it runs and goes vs the 1995 XL1200 Sporty I let go recently. Plus it's small and light.
                  The VM carburation is pretty good. I think a 673 swap will give the bike allot more pep in it step!
                  I didn't chase it but it got up to 80mph no issues and the engine sounded awesome, love how these little bike sound at redline. Cruises at 4K RPM all day though, power is good, so it's running well that's for sure.
                  Front tire should land today. I'm upgrading the front with a stainless line. I want to retain the stock look but the stock brakes are pretty bad up front. Rear is more than adequate as I'm pretty damn sure the rear rotor and caliper is the same with the 750.
                  E seat landed yesterday but the cover has yet to arrive. I'll re cover the seat and put the bench on. Doing some cleaning and general maintenance.
                  Still in search for a 4-2. I found a GS650E that is in non running condition and been chopped for $500 so may use it for the front forks/brakes, 650 swap bits and Carbs.
                  Stay tuned.
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

After a carb clean, New Chain, New rear tire, Some blown bulbs, fresh fluids, cleaned air filter, plugs and a good scrub the old gal runs pretty good!

The jetting is a touch off but that is because of that stupid Kirker, I'm still looking for a 4-2 or part/donor bike to get the pipe from.
                    I will need a new front brake line as the stock brake is just so spongy and you can watch the line deform under pressure.
                    An original GS550E seat did land it's off for a brand new cover! That will look much nicer, this saddle man is just so dumb looking.

The miles have also uncovered typical clutch slip so I'm guessing the springs are the culprit. May replace them or just go down the route of putting an 8V 750 clutch in... I heard you could do that. Wither way, like many on this forum I've done that allot of times!

I also have to check the charging system again, lights come on and there is a noticeable draw on the engine, a good idle will go down to 1000RPM. I do have a new Stator and R&R...

Looks like the boots were replaced recently when I had the carbs out, they look new with no cracks. The VM carbs are so ease to clean up.

So that's where she is at! Off to ride more,
                    Later,
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

That seat, though.........

Good on ya, J! When you coming through PA again?
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                        That seat, though.........

Good on ya, J! When you coming through PA again?
                        Ideally, tomorrow! But realistically not anytime soon I'm afraid. Too much happening in town and I'm still trying to get the Bonneville to 100K miles before the season ends, and with any high mileage Triumph, you never want to be too far from home.

I would love to visit though. Don't know if it's in the cards for this season.
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Well that's interesting...
                          I would recommend not clicking those links
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Same post in 4 other threads, Phishing...

Update-
                            Rich they tools down the 4 posts, might want to delete the links you have just so folks don't go somewhere they shouldn't
                            Last edited by Jedz123; 08-28-2021, 07:02 AM.
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

I need your skills for that kind of price reduction. Not bad for half a kilobuck.
                              Charles
                              --
                              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                              X