Shinko 230s or 712s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shinko 230s or 712s?

I know the difference is probably slight…. As is the price. I’m going to put about 1,000 miles on my GS1100 in the driftless area of SW Wisconsin in a couple of weeks, and thought fresh tires would be nice. I have 230s on it right now with no complaints…. But it’s 3 year old rubber… and the rear is starting to get worn.
    -1980 GS1100 LT
    -1975 Honda cb750K
    -1972 Honda cl175
    - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

On paper the 230 is V rated so it's supposedly better. That said, the 712 has similarly great reviews and is cheaper. Flip a coin?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I don’t think I’ll be approaching 130 anytime soon.... I pulled the trigger on the 712s. Mostly just to try for myself.... and save $15.
      -1980 GS1100 LT
      -1975 Honda cb750K
      -1972 Honda cl175
      - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

I've used both. They both work well with no real difference between them that I can tell (I don't get much chance to ride in the wet....). Running 712's at the moment.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Yep, I've strenuously abused both and I can't tell the difference from the saddle. The price difference is usually something like $5 or $7.

Follow your heart...
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I have some 712s on at least one bike. No problems. Everything from dirt roads to long highway rides at 85 mph.
            2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
            82 gs1100L probably the next project
            1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
            1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

I read that the 230 is more heavy duty touring oriented somewhere. I looked at user reviews such as below and 712 seemed the way to go. I am very pleased for the ones I now have on my GS1000E. It may ruffle feathers but I wish I'd saved money and gone with them on my CB750 and GS1100E, which run Avon AM26s - they are great tires, but hard to find these days it seems.

Putting an 81 motorcycle on the road, just got it running. One website likes the Bridgestone BT 45 tires, though they do not differentiate H or V...
              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

When I was piling a lot of miles on my GS850, I did the math and used the Avon AM26 RoadRiders. The rears lasted about twice as long as the Shinkos, and I could run two rears for every front (the AM26 100/90-19 front is also designed to be used as a rear, so it is especially durable). So cost per mile ended up cheaper even though the Avons are ridiculously expensive.

Nowadays most of my miles are on my other bikes, so I end up replacing the Shinkos about once a year; I like the warm and fuzzy feeling of having fresh sticky buns more often; with the Avons I'd likely end up with a front tire four years old at some point.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  When I was piling a lot of miles on my GS850, I did the math and used the Avon AM26 RoadRiders. The rears lasted about twice as long as the Shinkos, and I could run two rears for every front (the AM26 100/90-19 front is also designed to be used as a rear, so it is especially durable). So cost per mile ended up cheaper even though the Avons are ridiculously expensive.

Nowadays most of my miles are on my other bikes, so I end up replacing the Shinkos about once a year; I like the warm and fuzzy feeling of having fresh sticky buns more often; with the Avons I'd likely end up with a front tire four years old at some point.

This reasoning is how I also change rubber on my Goldwing
                  The Bridgestones I favor are the least expensive GOOD set of galoshes for the Wing -
                  They only last about 8500 to 9500 miles (which is what I average annually on the Wing)
                  So Each Spring I put on a NEW set and love a full season of riding on fresh tires
                  Currently in the Stable :
                  2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                  1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                  - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                    I read that the 230 is more heavy duty touring oriented somewhere.
                    Based on Shinko's website I would say it is the opposite. The 712 is designed as a high mileage tire and the 230 as a higher performance tire. This is also suggested by the H speed rating on the 712 and the V rating that many of the 230 sizes carry. Your ADVrider thread is interesting, I have never seen anyone express discomfort with the 230's and I have no complaints with them myself, but I haven't tried the 712's for a direct comparison. I would say that either is a reasonable choice for our old bikes. I would use the 230's on my 1100E on a vintage track day with no concerns, but I am not a super fast track rider.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    Nowadays most of my miles are on my other bikes, so I end up replacing the Shinkos about once a year; I like the warm and fuzzy feeling of having fresh sticky buns more often
                    I also do this. I chose the 230's partly for their shorter life because I don't put a lot of miles on the 1100 and prefer to change tires more often for fresher tires at about the same overall cost per mile.

Mark
                    1982 GS1100E
                    1998 ZX-6R
                    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
                    X