Krazy Kaliper Kwestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Krazy Kaliper Kwestion

Me again with another stupid question you can all chortle at...
    I'm rebuilding my calipers. New seals and O rings etc. I tried using my old dust boots since they seemed to be in great shape.
    Well, the little tellers must have been working out because they's all "swoll" and won't fit back in the calipers.
    So question is this. Do I have to run the dust boots or will it cause my brakes to seize, throwing me like a crash
    dummy off the side of a mountain into a ravine filled with razor sharp rocks and cactus ? Serious question...

Mad
    83 GS750E
    2006 ZX14
    2004 KTM 450 EXC
    2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Certainly, you can run without the dust boots, but you'll forever be wondering how manky and corroded the pistons / bores are getting and whether you really need to strip and clean them real soon.
    Luckily, most brake seizures don't happen instantly, you do get some warning.
    Put it this way - if the boots weren't needed you sure as hell wouldn't get them from the manufacturer.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Another way to look at it: they will protect the exposed portion of the pistons. If you don't EVER plan on pushing the pistons back in, there is no problem. HOWEVER, ... if you do plan on replacing the brake pads a time or three, using the dust seals will help protect the pistons so you don't have to get new ones every time.

That's kind of like the saying that you only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving more than once.

Comment

I then find it interesting that NONE of my other bikes have had any dust covers. Including my ZX14.
        I never change brake pads anyway. I just wait for the backing plates to weld themselves to the rotors. ( I kid)

Mad
        83 GS750E
        2006 ZX14
        2004 KTM 450 EXC
        2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Originally posted by Maddevill View Post
          I just wait for the backing plates to weld themselves to the rotors. ( I kid)

Mad
          We'll that's how you'll get to know how sharp the rocks and cacti are ... Some welding is fun, not that kind. (also kidding)
          81 GS650GL

Comment

Why not order dust seals ?
            At 5 bucks a piece it just would be wrong to run without.
            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Working...
            X