'81 GS550T - replacing cyl head gasket & re-using rubber bits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 GS550T - replacing cyl head gasket & re-using rubber bits

I'm re-assembling the cyl head on my GS550T and have a few questions on re-using various bits. I bought an aftermarket gasket kit which has most of the necessary bits.

I've had the bike for several months and have heard it run briefly, but the rpms spiked quickly and I didn't want to run it cold at high rpm, so I shut it down and started pulling things apart.

The bike has 8000 miles, at least according to the odometer. Cylinder walls look and feel smooth, so that's a plus. There's evidence of non-factory sealant, so some previous owner had the engine apart.

Specific questions are:
    1. The original head gasket looks intact, but I assume it's still better to use the one from the gasket kit. I'd rather not pay $130 for a head gasket on a bike that cost me $200.
    2. There are 4 rubber washers in the corner of the existing head gasket that were likely integrated with the original head gasket since they do not show as separate parts on the partzilla list. They are a little beaten up, can I re-use them? Should I find orings to put in there instead?
    3. The gasket kit did not include the center oring around the timing chain. The original one looks decent, i.e not overly flattened. I place to re-use rather than spend $30+ for OEM. Should I re-apply some sealant, like Permatex copper ultra?

Any input? Thx and pic of the bits mentioned in #2 for reference.
    PXL_20210822_161023054.jpg
    Last edited by sacruickshank; 08-22-2021, 12:40 PM.
    Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Everything I’ve read on here indicates that aftermarket head and base gaskets are risky.
    i bought a few genuine oem gaskets from this CT guy....have you stumbled across him?

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      Everything I’ve read on here indicates that aftermarket head and base gaskets are risky.
      i bought a few genuine oem gaskets from this CT guy....have you stumbled across him?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Suzuki-...-127632-2357-0
      Thanks I was not aware of that option. Still debating in my head if I risk it and use the one from the kit. It's far from my only bike, so if it happens to blow I can always redo it over the winter. Plus, this is far from a show bike. More like weathered, patina with a smattering of residual rattle can.
      Last edited by sacruickshank; 08-22-2021, 04:43 PM.
      Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

It is in your best long-term work interest to replace all gaskets with Suzuki parts. Properly maintaining these bikes requires money and trying to skimp just because you only paid $200 for the bike isn't going to give you a good working machine that will last. If you don't want to spend the required amounts, get a newer bike that doesn't require the work.
        sigpic
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

What he said.^^^^^^^^^^
          Even if somebody gave you a old snotter of a bike for free, you'd be looking at the thick end of a thousand bucks / quid / spondoolicks to get it back on the road by the time you replace all the time and owner-damaged parts to make the thing safe and rideable again, as well as reliable.

Somebody on here has a signature - There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle. That's true even if you already own it.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Any used motorcycle is going to run you at least $2 per cc. Since you only paid $200, that means that you have $900 to get it running correctly. OEM gaskets are not the place to cheap out. Yeah, you might save a few bucks by tking a chance on an aftermarket set, but look at the REAL cost when you have to take it apart to do it AGAIN with OEM gaskets.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen it posted on here, "any shortcuts taken are just another opportunity to do it over and do it RIGHT".

Comment

thanks all. OEM gasket on order from link provided earlier in thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                What he said.^^^^^^^^^^
                Even if somebody gave you a old snotter of a bike for free, you'd be looking at the thick end of a thousand bucks / quid / spondoolicks to get it back on the road by the time you replace all the time and owner-damaged parts to make the thing safe and rideable
                Agreed, although maybe not $1000. I picked up a backyard CX500 with rotted out exhaust for $25 and now have it reliably roadworthy for $550 all in.

Comment

If you got the head off: take the valves out, clean and lap them, do a port cleaning, Check the springs too.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                    If you got the head off: take the valves out, clean and lap them, do a port cleaning, Check the springs too.
                    already done

Comment

UPDATE - Well that's frustrating. I bought the OEM head gasket from the ebay vendor as recommended in the thread, got distracted for a week or so, then opened the package today to find a bent and delaminated gasket. I trust the aftermarket gasket more than this one.

plus it's not the exact right one since it doesn't have the hole in front where the bolt goes through.

PXL_20210905_155034714.jpg
                      Last edited by sacruickshank; 09-05-2021, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X