1980 GS850GT Won't Run When Throttle opened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS850GT Won't Run When Throttle opened

I'm restoring a 1980 GS850GT with 19k miles. BS32SS carbs, transistorized ignition. Probably not been used for years.

It starts and idles OK and can 'blip' throttle OK but when I try to drive it and opening the throttle it flutters and has no power at all.

Action so far:
    Cleaned carbs thoroughly several times with carb cleaner, cellulose thinner, pressure line and wire poke following several tutorial videos.
    Checked diaphragms with pressure line and vacuum cleaner.
    Checked fuel flow by removing float chamber bottom plugs and checked all floats have the amount of fuel.
    Balance carbs.
    Fitted new rubber manifolds.
    Fitted new coils and HT leads now sparks well.
    Ignition fine including timing.
    Checked cylinder compression and all about 120psi.
    Charging is OK.

Local dealer/service shop tells me they have had big problems with carbs needing extensive cleaning and remedies because of blocked passages that are difficult to access.

I would be grateful for any advice or tips.

See the top 10 list linked in my signature. After reading that, go to BikeCliffs website and download Ed Ness’s Mikuni BS(CV) Carburetor Rebuild Tutorial. Read and follow it. Your shop was right, the good news is you can do this yourself.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Two things come to mind:
      1. Your "thorough cleaning" was not so thorough. Too many unnecessary chemicals, and the wrong ones, at that. Look at the "BikeCliff's Website" link in Rich's signature. Over on the right side is a tutorial on how to properly clean the carbs. If you haven't done THAT procedure, you haven't done it right.

2. Do you have the air filter connected? Those carbs need SOMETHING bolted to the intake side.

Comment

Hi, Thanks to you and Cliff for helpful replies.

Two items look most promising:
        1. Phydeauxmutt's suggestion that carbs must have some restriction on air intake is relevant. The bike only had foam pods, which I understand are considered a problem, and I've left them off. I'll put them back on at least.
        2. Cliff's suggestion to look at Ed Ness’s Mikuni BS(CV) Carburetor Rebuild Tutorial is helpful. I have re-read that far more carefully and think there is only one thing I haven't done which is to soak the carbs in a cleaner for a long time, even 24 hours. So together with advice from the service shop I'll try that routine. The shop advised an Ultrasonic cleaner @ 85° in a strong 4-1 solution.

Overall, the message is carbs need more cleaning and I'm sure you're right, Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by TopGun View Post

Local dealer/service shop tells me they have had big problems with carbs needing extensive cleaning and remedies because of blocked passages that are difficult to access.

Yes. And that requires "carb dip", a bucket of solvent. Each carb dissasembled and soaked in "carb dip" for 24 hours. As described in tutorial Rich mentioned.

Welcome to THe GSR.

Hey, we need pictures of this G.
          Yah, we need to know if it is the maroon one or the black one. (joking)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

It's Rich, not Cliff, but that's OK. Cliff is the guy with the website I linked, and that we all use. And I've been called worse.

Berryman Carb Dip may not be available in the UK, not sure. Maybe some UK members would know of a suitable substitute Carb soak.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

If you want a quick test, you don't need to re-install the foam filters. Just fold a shop rag in half and hold it over the inlets. If you can, use a zip-tie or two to hold the rag on the outer carbs. Tension will keep the rag out of the inner carbs. Not only should it run better, it will even be good enough to take a ride around the block. I would not do any jetting based on this, but it will at least verify that it runs.

Comment

Unless the jetting is very different from stock having no filter or the foam filters will certainly give you all sorts of issues with the carburation whether the rack is clean or not

You probably need to work out how they are jetted. Don't trust the numbers on the jets as it's been known for shade tree mechanics to have at them with drills to enlarge the holes.... Good Luck!
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I've found that the bike runs OK'ish now after I removed the plastic rings on the top of the needles to richen the mixture and enlarged the Pilot Jets to .5mm with a drill. Probably need to fine tune this richening. Don't know why but looks as if it's been a mixture problem but that could be caused by something else or perhaps petrol has changed since 1980.
                  Quite enjoying riding it now, they're nice bikes !

Comment

Todays gas has had me thinking how much different then in 1978 when my bike was manufactured? Jetting reading plugs is tougher now but maybe just my old man eyes.
                    Andy

1978 GS 1000
                    GS1000-101598 Frame stamp
                    GS1000-101862 Engine Stamp on case

Registration
                    Vehicle ID GS1000101862
                    Engine No GS1000101590

Comment

Originally posted by Ajw78 View Post
                      Todays gas has had me thinking how much different then in 1978 when my bike was manufactured? Jetting reading plugs is tougher now but maybe just my old man eyes.
                      Depends on the gasoline. Here, I find that modern brews only rarely show the range of light tans of classic plug chops. More often, it's a range of greys.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by TopGun View Post
                        I've found that the bike runs OK'ish now after I removed the plastic rings on the top of the needles to richen the mixture and enlarged the Pilot Jets to .5mm with a drill.
                        OK, all bets are off, and further help is suspended. There is no reference to what the diameter of the hole is in the stock jets, but enlarging with a drill is just plain out of the question. Right now, there is absolutely NO way to know what size jets you have, so any further suggestions will be futile.

Comment

It seems that the problem has been the Pod filters which were on the bike when I bought it and when these are fitted you have to increase the richness of the carbs. because the standard air filter is very restrictive which increases the vacuum suction on the jets.
                          I have now removed the packing washers above the needles to raise them and drilled the jets larger. The Pilot jets I drilled to .5mm ( not easy ! ) and the main jets to 1.5mm. The bike now runs very well and the performance surprises me. I believe the jet numbers are the size in millimeters multiplied by 100 so the standard #40 Pilot is .4mm and the Main #115 is 1.15mm.
                          The trouble is that this diagnosing has taken a lot of time.

Comment

Found that .5mm pilots was too large so tried drilling to .35mm which was too small and needed maximum 4 adjuster turns+. Finally I've found that .4mm drilling with 3 adjuster turns is fine so have settled on that now. Starts and runs well at all throttle openings so in summary to make my Pods work:
                            - Drilled pilots to .4mm.
                            - Removed packing piece above needles to raise them up.
                            - Drilled main jets to 1.5mm.

Comment

Working...
                            X