Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX750ES Airbox Outlet Tubes

Hello all,

I'm having difficulty in sourcing the airbox tubes for my 750ES, does anyone have a lead on these?

13881-31301
    *DISCONTINUED* TUBE, AIRBOX OUTLET, INNER
    13882-31300 TUBE,AIR CLEANER OUTLET, OUTER

I may be able to get the outer tubes but the inner tubes are proving to be hard to find.

Mine are hard and out of shape and will almost certainly not seal properly.

Cheers,

Roden

Some have had success reconstituting rubber carb/airbox boots by soaking them in a dilution of wintergreen oil. Sorry, I don't know the formula or where you'd actually buy wintergreen oil.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
      Some have had success reconstituting rubber carb/airbox boots by soaking them in a dilution of wintergreen oil. Sorry, I don't know the formula or where you'd actually buy wintergreen oil.
      Did a little research, a 3:1 ratio of isopropyl alcohol and methyl salicylate (wintergreen) gives good results, so it might be worth a try. I already have a 2.5L jug of alcohol ..

Thanks for the tip

Comment

Wintergreen oil and xylene works. This is the stuff to use and it is the best price/quantity here in the US.

They will swell up to nearly double size then go back to normal and be soft and stay that way. Soak for 24 hours, then recover to size in another 24-48 in open air. They will have a powerful odor that can irritate eyes at first. To be efficient and cost effective, I put in a glass tumbler that is just big enough to fit the boot, and do them one at a time. You can top it up and reuse the fluid many times over. There is no other way that will soften like wintergreen oil per everything I've read.

This witches brew resurrected rock hard OEM intake boots for a CB750 that would cost over $100, plus many other items, thus paying for itself. I have more than half left for future projects. Many on the SOHC4 Honda forum have used with success, which is where I learned of it.

There is a good video here, worth watching:

Last edited by oldGSfan; 08-23-2021, 09:50 AM.
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Tom,
          Do you mix the Wintergreen oil and xylene 1:1 ?
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

3:1 works best as Roden mentioned, and also in the video that is what is recommended. The MSDS for 'Rubber Renue' which has been around a while, is:

MSDS: xylene (mixture) 60–68%, ethylbenzene 17–26%, methyl salicylate 15%. Nasty stuff, wear a respirator and eye protection, be careful. Cover the container as it will evaporate pretty fast BTW.

Rubber renue is $15 for 125ml so mixing your own is much cheaper. You don't need ethylbenzene, just the other two ingredients. Maybe it works better with it, but it's fine without.

Xylene is not available in stores in California but I was able to get on Amazon. Others have used isopropyl, but xylene seemed to be the most recommended.

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            Tom,
            Do you mix the Wintergreen oil and xylene 1:1 ?
            Last edited by oldGSfan; 08-23-2021, 10:10 AM.
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

A friend of mine softened vehicle windshield gaskets by rubbing vaseline on them. That may be worth a try if you have some handy.
              1986 1150EF
              2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Working...
              X