Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS550E Air Filter Question

Hey all,

This is my first post on here so forgive me if I make any big mistakes posting -

I have a 1980 GS550E and was wondering what I should do about replacing the air filter. I've looked around and could only find filters that fit later year GS's ('83+), used original parts, or were pod filters or something that would probably require a carb rejet.

I'm still pretty novice when it comes to working on these bikes as this is the first I've owned so any help is appreciated. I'm sure I'll be posting some more as I'm trying to learn on this bike and have been reading as much info and trying things out while I'm not in school.

Thanks!

Did you try a Suzuki dealer?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I see a 80 550E model listed on the GSR homepage. But I do not see a 550 Model E for 1980 listed in the parts fiches on partshark.com, only the L. Not sure what that means.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

My understanding is that the L was just a different style of the bike such as tear-drop gas tank, different fork length, etc. -- and that the engines are the same. It's easy to check if the part numbers are the same -- see the RESOURCES at the top of this Forum.)

As to the air filter, if you are talking about the foam, that's no big deal since lots of bikes used that -- you might need to cut it to size.

If you are thinking of a NON-Suzuki air set-up, I'd do a thorough investigation first.
        sigpic
        '77 GS550B
        '78 GS550C

Comment

Yeah I think there is very little difference between the L and E (at least concerning the Air Filtration system). I looked into it and will try and just buy an OEM replacement one from partshark.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X