Brake Neutral Switch Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Neutral Switch Question

Hello everyone! Its been a few months since Ive been on here, Ive been back to working on my 1982 suzuki gs450GA, and Ive run into some issues. I cleaned the carbs, new battery, new spark plugs, i tested spark. Im unable to get my bike to turn over, it cranks but wont turn over. Im wondering if the brake neutral switch has anything to do with this. I looked this item up on ebay and it seems im missing part of it, Do I need this wired in properly in order for my bike to start? any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

-Jared
    Attached Files
    1982 Suzuki GS450A: In Process

I’ll have to take your word for it the the picture is part of your motorcycle. I can’t make heads nor tails of it. To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a brake neutral switch. But your bike, being an automatic transmission (I think) may have such a start defeat wired in. On the manual transmission bikes, there is a switch on the clutch lever which will not let power go to the starter solenoid unless the clutch lever is pulled, meaning the bike will not crank unless the clutch lever is pulled. Sorry, that’s probably not much help. Maybe someone with specific knowledge of the 450A can help you.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thank you Rich, Yeah there seems to be a brake neutral switch https://www.ebay.com/itm/23233098965...UaAlsFEALw_wcB I found this part on ebay, but mine doesnt have the spring assembly, The bike definitely tries turning over but just cranks.

Comment

A WAG here, so ignore if I seem way off base. If you have an automatic then they may have installed the "neutral" switch on the brake instead of the clutch (as on my manual shifting bike). Based on the image that you showed from ebay, you should be able to either run a jumper wire between the two connectors for the switch, thus bypassing it, or disconnect the switch altogether - TO TEST IF THIS IS THE CAUSE OF YOUR PROBLEM. [My lawyer said to make sure you all know I am not advocating bypassing a safety switch permanently - only for diagnosis purposes]. After you do this, you should at least know if that is why your GS450A won't start.
        81 GS650GL

Comment

I think, Ill just disconnect it, I still get the Neutral light on the dash, Just weird that it was taken out of its position on the bike, Thanks Adam! Now, time to figure out the real reason the bike wont start..

Comment

I am confused. You said it "cranks but won't turn over". Umm aren't they the same thing? I guess you mean it
            cranks but doesn't fire.

Mad
            83 GS750E
            2006 ZX14
            2004 KTM 450 EXC
            2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Not acquainted with a "BRAKE neutral switch" on any GS. I looked at the link you gave in post #3. Although the title says Suzuki GS450A, if you look farther down, it says the manufacturer is Kawasaki. That's the fun part of eBay, ... you really don't know.

If your starter is able to spin the engine over, there is no problem with any "safety" switches on the bike. All of the "safety" switches (actually just ONE) cut the ignition AND prevent starter operation.

Can't tell you why it's not running, but a "safety" switch is not the reason.

Comment

on this fiche from partshark.com
                Shop online for OEM Wiring Harness parts that fit your 1982 Suzuki GS450GA, search all our OEM Parts or call at 877-999-5686

There are 2 similar switches in the wiring harness fishe for the 82 GS450GA. #19 SWITCH, PROP STAND WARNING, and #14, SWITCH, REAR BRAKE LAMP. These are common, if not exactly the same on other GS's of the time.

Jared, are both of those switches intact on your bike? Neither would keep the bike from starting: Prop stand switch lights a lamp in the instrument cluster and may be tied to a buzzer that's to sound if the bike is in gear. The Brake light switch only activates the rear brake light.

I've looked a bit at the owners manual on the BikeCliff's Website, you should download that if you don't have one. I didn't know anything about the automatic models. The left handlebar lever is a parking brake, fun.
                Some other interesting things from the owner's manual.

Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thank you guys for all the info, yeah sorry I need to learn more terms, sorry yeah it cranks but won’t fire. I guess it won’t fire for some other reason. Im running out of ideas

Comment

Working...
                  X