Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to bikes, changing brakes + pads

Hey guys,

I have a 1980 GS550 which needs some work put into it and right now I'm looking at replacing the brakes and brake pads. The rear wheel is squeaking and sticking quite a bit and aside from everything just being old, I'd be more comfortable with new disc brakes and pads on it.

This is my first time doing this and I'm looking for some advise on what kind of disc brakes I should get/what are some things I should keep an eye out for?

To give you all an idea of what I'm planning on doing - Putting new tires on, probably Shinko 712's. Replacing the sprocket and chain, and cleaning and painting the rear swing arm, etc.

Thanks!

Welcome, & congrats on the purchase. There's a lot to learn, not just brakes. My opinion, first thing on your list should be a good repair manual, Suzuki is best, Clymer or Haynes work really well. You'll be asking questions here for days trying to get everything done right, when you can learn most everything in just a few minutes with a manual, They even have pictures that are a huge help. Good luck If the brakes are not releasing, you're going to need to do a caliper rebuild, all in the manual. Sounds like a great project. Got any pictures, we love pictures around here.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
      a good repair manual, Suzuki is best.

Check out Bikecliff's website. One of the best resources that I have found for lots of different things. I purchased my GS a week ago, and have consulted Bikecliff's site and this site daily.

Suzuki GS motorcycles maintenance and information (GS850GT)
      81 GS650GL

Comment

Ooooo that's really nice. Thanks for that - I'd been using a much worse quality pdf of the manual which you could barely read before.

I should clarify a bit - my bike is running and has been for the past few years. It's just now that things are becoming worn down from the previous service, and metal is beginning to rust that I figured it would be a good idea to try and figure these things out myself.

I've read that disc brakes don't need to be replaced until they have at least 30k miles on them? My bike only has ~11k. There's a bit of rust on them but nothing crazy. Is it feasible to clean that off and just replace the pads?

Comment

The discs don't need to be replaced often.

Unless they are badly damaged from driving without liner on the brake pads ("metal on metal"), if they are warped,
          or too thin.
          On the discs is the minimum thickness (usually 4.5-6.0 mm, check your discs)
          At 11K i would not expect them to be worn.
          A bit of rust is no problem, you can use steel wool or sand them down a bit if they are rusty.

Pads : just check them visually - good thickness ? (there usually is a red recessed line on them to indicate replacement thickness).
          If they brake well and have good thickness i would do just that.
          Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Didn't realize the 550 ever used a disc in the rear. The earliest bikes use a drum brake.
            Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
            2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Yeah, you won't need new rotors. I've found they go 80-100,000 miles on most bikes.

But even if the original pads still have plenty of thickness, new modern pads will improve braking action.

Please avoid the cheap generic Chinese brake pads found absolutely everywhere under all sorts of goofy names.

Stick with a well-known brand; EBC and Galfer are excellent. Do not get sintered pads (I don't think they're even available any more).

The brake pads I'm using on my GS at the moment are EBC red semi-sintered, and they're fantastic. EBC's black "organic" or "kevlar" pads are also great. They're a pretty standard recommendation.

Galfer pads are excellent as well, but I'm not familiar with them; EBC pads are much easier to find.

If you have two brake rotors up front, you'll need two sets of pads, unfortunately.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

The GS550 from 1977 & 1978 had a single disc brake in the front (70% of the braking power), and a drum brake in the rear (which I use more often even though it is the weaker brake). They started to add discs to the rear in 1980 (?) or so, but only on certain models at first. Anyway, your system probably only needs a cleaning & rust removal, and maybe pads. The manual will explain all the details. Check all the cables, lines, handles for problems -- dirt, leaks, etc. You might want to adjust/replace some of the lines or cables -- or clean & grease them. A brake fluid change might be in order.
                I've got TWO that I need to do the same thing to!!!
                And welcome to the Forum!
                Last edited by xkaes; 09-02-2021, 05:46 PM.
                sigpic
                '77 GS550B
                '78 GS550C

Comment

^ Thanks for the explanation.
                  Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                  2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                  1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Since you're digging into the wheels and brakes anyway, consider doing a full rebuild on the calipers and master cylinders with new seals and new brake fluid. New braided stainless steel brake lines are a little spendy, but worth every penny because you'll never have to change them again.
                    Charles
                    --
                    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Agreed, going through your full brake system is obligatory Welcome to the madhouse
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                      X