is this too much noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this too much noise?

is this too much mechanical noise coming from what sounds like the valve train?

1985 Suzuki GS450L

I didn't hear anything from the valve train. However, I DID hear some popping in the exhaust.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post
      I didn't hear anything from the valve train. However, I DID hear some popping in the exhaust.
      yea, the pilot jets are a size smaller than stock (i dont know why, the carbs came like that) i'm gonna fix that, cause the popping is annoying as *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$.

you really cant hear that noise? its extremely noticeable to me, but that may be because im not 'used' to how motorcycles are supposed to sound yet
      1985 Suzuki GS450L

Comment

I don’t hear anything either but the backfire. Sounds like a normal GS engine to me. But I don’t have that much experience. A bit of clatter is somewhat normal. It’s when the valve clearance gets tight and quiet that you need to worry. Have you done a valve clearance check yet? If not, I’d recommend it.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          I don’t hear anything either but the backfire. Sounds like a normal GS engine to me. But I don’t have that much experience. A bit of clatter is somewhat normal. It’s when the valve clearance gets tight and quiet that you need to worry. Have you done a valve clearance check yet? If not, I’d recommend it.
          havent done them yet, but i have an appointment next month with the local 'old bike guy'. i'm hesitant to do it myself for fear of breaking something, so i want to see it done in person at least once before i attempt it myself (i learn best hands-on. tutorial videos don't do much for me)
          1985 Suzuki GS450L

Comment

Originally posted by SkyfangR View Post
            havent done them yet, but i have an appointment next month with the local 'old bike guy'. i'm hesitant to do it myself for fear of breaking something, so i want to see it done in person at least once before i attempt it myself (i learn best hands-on. tutorial videos don't do much for me)
            That's not a bad idea. Member Steve has a handy dandy excel spreadsheet for keeping track of shim sizes/positions and showing you want you need based on what you have. Look him up, email him and ask him to send it to you for when you do it yourself. Though if you have someone do it, and you trust that it's done right, should be good for quite a while.
            Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 08-25-2021, 01:36 PM.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
            X