Bandit 1250 Chain Replacement Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bandit 1250 Chain Replacement Question

I'm about to change the chain and sprockets on my 2010 GSF1250SA and I am trying to determine if I need a spacer on the front sprocket to have it all tighten down properly? Sprockets are JT, chain is a 530 RK X-ring.

Thanks,
    Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

It depends... Sometimes even with a stock chain the same pitch you need a spacer as the stock sprocket has some sort of acoustic balancer on it or something. It should be pretty apparent when you compare them side by side... If it's originally a 630 chain then you'll need the 6mm spacer I would guess.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      It depends... Sometimes even with a stock chain the same pitch you need a spacer as the stock sprocket has some sort of acoustic balancer on it or something. It should be pretty apparent when you compare them side by side... If it's originally a 630 chain then you'll need the 6mm spacer I would guess.
      I'm trying to line up parts before I am halfway through the job and stuck... The OEM chain is 530 and this is a straight same-for-same replacement. Fingers crossed I don't need it, the JT 6mm spacers are hard to find up here at the moment.

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I didn't need one for my Bandit and I just replaced my chain at the beginning of this season
        sigpic
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          I didn't need one for my Bandit and I just replaced my chain at the beginning of this season
          I missed this, thanks for the reply. Looking at the service manual it doesn't look like the Bandit has a thick hub like the OEM GS sprockets have, so this is a good confirmation. Parts are here on Wednesday according to the tracking and I am planning on changing it for the long weekend.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Dont know anything about it but noticed (through the drool on my screen) this guy mentions a chain and sprocket conversion with pictures.

New "superbike" DID ZVM X chain and sprocket kit

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

It's just a regular old parts swap; no spacers and suchlike to juggle.

The job was so utterly un-memorable that I almost forgot that I have actually done a chain/sprocket replacement on a 1250.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Again, I see this late. I have the bike all apart in the garage at the moment and can confirm there is no spacer required. Thanks to all for their info.

Mark
                1982 GS1100E
                1998 ZX-6R
                2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
                X