GS450 Winter project - A practical approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 Winter project - A practical approach

Well. My dreams have come true. I own two motorcycles, and one of them is a project bike with good lines. The other one is a KTM 950 Adventure.

First things first, a little background story on this GS450. It's black, and it only runs for three seconds at the time, and only with the choke fully in, and I had to remove the plugs and dry them for it to start again. Oh, and it was 8000 NOK, or about 700 Freedom Dollars. I don't have any history on the bike other than that.

I had a few hours to work on it yesterday evening, and decided to tear into it. Tank off, start removing add-ons in the wiring harness. Heated grips that felt like marshmellows, away they go. Aftermarket turn signal/high/low beam/horn cluster - directly plugged in to a blue 6 or 8 pin connector looking OEM? Anyways. I am going to use the right cluster for off-low-hi beam and just a single button for the horn. No turn signals.

I really don't tearing into a bike before it runs, but the electrical work was just so terrible. Re-spliced coil wires and mid-harness changes and a aftermarket headlight with all the original wiring just stuffed inside it and hacked up.

So I decided I just had to at least fix the problems and remove the stuff that I won't keep. I have an ultrasonic parts cleaner on the way, and I will do the carbs in that. The fuel "tap" on the tank is vacuum it seems, and it was not connected properly, and someone have done some work there. Only "On" and "Res", thought there was supposed to be a "Pri" too. It had stainless allen bolts connecting it to the tank. Don't get me started on all the wrong hardware. A2, A4, 8.8, 10.9, and all with the machine bolt heads.

I need to spend some time here and find all the sticky threads, but for now this is the list of information i need(great if anyone helps out, but I just need it to document for myself)

Service/Workshop Manual, paper of .pdf (Clymer/Haynes/OEM)
    Wiring diagram with colors
    Where to get good replacement parts (coils, headlight, taillight)
    (Will add as I go)

Pics or it didn't happen. (Seems they don't show directly, and good way to do?)

Attached Files

Welcome

We have at least one other member from Norway here, Noreg. Look him up. Maybe he’s close by and able to help with some stuff.
    Edit: I just looked, and am just realizing how big Norway actually is. It's a 24 hour drive from Adger County to Harstad. Wow!

Manuals and wiring diagrams can be found on BikeCliffs Website, linked in my signature.

Posting pictures is a little tricky. I have a guide for using Imgur linked in my signature. Using a picture hosting site that will give you the BBCode for the image seems to be the key.

Please create a signature with your bike info (at least) in it. Go to settings at the top right of any page.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 08-25-2021, 07:58 AM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
    X