Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS850 - converting manual tach to electrical

Hi Folks -

Quick question - I know that if i want to replace the mechanical tach on the bike with an electrical one, i have to wire it into the ignition - but the project bike I got came with an electrical tach that's not hooked up and has no documentation. Do I need to chase that down to find out what the proper configuration is, or can I safely wire it to the ignition with 1 spark/1 revolution.

If memory serves, the later model 750E's had an electronic tach that tapped the primary side of one of the ignition coil. I swapped the mechanical tach in my '81 750E for an electronic tach from an '83 (I think?) but it was very fiddly and only worked because the '81 had a truly cavernous square-design instrument cluster.

We don't know which electrical tach you have, so it's hard to give any useful advice.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Charles is right, we can all guess all day long, but none of the guesses will mean anything unless/until we know what you have.

That said, what you need to do is find out what you have. Then share that with us.
      If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Working...
      X