What's the KEY to the keys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the KEY to the keys?

I've got two bikes, so I have two sets of keys. Two sets of TWO keys. One key is for the ignition, and the other for the seat lock. One is large, and the other small with different key numbers. The seat keys will not open the gas tank cover lock. Only the ignition key will open the gas tank cover lock. However, one of my ignition keys will open BOTH gas tank cover locks, while the other ignition key will only open ONE of the gas tank cover locks. Normally this is not a problem. I was just surprised.
    Anyone have an explanation?
    sigpic
    '77 GS550B
    '78 GS550C

Somebody switched out your locks at some point. It’s actually a very common occurrence. Personally, I’ve never had a bike that I bought used that had a matching lock set. You can occasionally find complete lock sets on eBay but they can be pretty pricey. If you don’t want to pay for a complete lock set you can also grind down the wafers so they open with any period Suzuki key.
    1978 Suzuki GS750

Past bikes owned:
    1978 Suzuki GS750E, 1979 Suzuki GS750E, 1980 Suzuki GS850, 1977 Suzuki GS550, 1969 Honda CB350, 1976 Harley Davidson SS175, 1979 Motobecane 50V, 1978 Puch Maxi, 1977 Puch Newport, 1980 Tomos Bullet, 1978 Motobecane 50VLA, 1978 AMF Roadmaster

Comment

THe KEY to the key is the 3 digit code on the key (if stock key) and on the lock (or the back of the lock).

THe ignition and the seat and the gas cap were all the same when bike was new. SOmetime in the bikes history someone swapped out, say, the ignition switch or something.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

These are all original keys and locks. The numbers on the ignition key and the seat keys are different on each bike. And the ignition key on each bike will open the gas tank lock on the same bike. That's as it should be.

But one ignition key will open BOTH gas tank locks. The other ignition key will open only ONE of the gas tank locks.

I'm not going to the trouble and expense of tracking down matching sets of locks. I had assumed that the gas tank locks would work with any Suzuki key. Apparently not!!!
        sigpic
        '77 GS550B
        '78 GS550C

Comment

Maybe thirty plus years of wear has come into play, especially on the tank cap that is opened by either key.

Back in the 90s, my 66 Chevy key worked in my friends 66 Chevy, despite the keys being obviously different.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by xkaes View Post
            These are all original keys and locks.
            And you know this because you have owned both bikes since they were new?

Or at least knew the original owner(s) and got the bike(s) from him?

All GSes left the factory with one key number for each bike. That key worked in every lock on that bike. Even the 1100GK, which has an extra NINE locks on it. Since there are only so many combinations available, it is inevitable that more than one bike left the factory with the same numbered key. And, due to age and wear, it's quite possible that one lock has gotten looser or one key has been worn down a bit to the point where strange things happen.

Bottom line: if it takes more than one key to operate all the locks on the bike, SOMETHING has changed.
            If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Yeah, I bought both bikes new, from Suzuki dealers. That doesn't mean they left the factory with the same keys, or that something didn't happen before I got them.

Like I said, I'm not having a problem, I've just got to remember to use the right keys. Since one key has always worked on both gas tanks, I assumed the reverse would be true.

No big deal.
              sigpic
              '77 GS550B
              '78 GS550C

Comment

Hey xkaes, just saw posted in the carb/fuel/ exh. section. there is a thread GS1000 fuel cap gasket / seal - anyone found a replacement. The last few posts, in that thread, mention re-keying OEM locks to fit different OEM keys isn't too difficult. You may contact one of those guys for help. Just think if you could get one key fit all 6 of your locks. Just a thought
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                X