Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for used (good condition) "Detent" part for fork damping adjust; 81 1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for used (good condition) "Detent" part for fork damping adjust; 81 1100E

So in my quest to acquire all the parts needed to rebuild the (stock) front forks on my 1981 GS1100E, I've run into another stumbling block. The forks on the '81 1100E have 4-position damping adjustment built in to the forks. [NOTE: in 80-81, the 1100E had different forks than the later years (no anti-dive mechanism, leading axles, and large damping adjustment knob located at very bottom of fork tube).] On my forks, those damping adjustment knobs are very "soft"; they are very easy to turn by hand, and the detents at the four indicated positions are pretty 'vague' (not a nice firm 'click' feeling with no wobble once in the detent, but a bit more slop/looseness). Also it seems the knobs may be clocked incorrectly (maybe got re-installed at some point with wrong position/indicator relatiopnship).

I havent had a set of these forks apart yet, so it's possible when I do I may find that the the "sloppiness" in the damping adjustment mechanism is due to some loosened fasteners or improper assembly (previous owner did not seem very mechanically savvy, lots of oddball issues on the bike). But the parts fiche shows a specific part that is just a detent assembly. it looks like a simple cassette with 4-position ball detents and a thru D-socket (that presumably engages with the end of the shaft coming out the bottom of the damping rod). Would make sense that if this part/mechanism is worn, it would cause the symptoms I'm experiencing. Unfortunately, the part is out of production, and I cannot find any for sale in any condition on Ebay or elsewhere.

When I get things apart, I'm going to see if there is something else causing my sloppy/vague detents, and if not, see if there is any way to refurb/service the detent mechanism in there. But if it IS that part causing the problem, and it CAN'T be serviced (images make it look like it may not be easily dis/re-assembled), does ANYONE have some spares, or old ones in mostly useable condition laying around? Know a good source for replacement parts? Any advice is appreciated. Some images of the parts fiche, and the part in question are pasted below for reference:
    DETENT; 51284-49200 (Part #11 in schematic below)

If you have not seen this page on the Race Tech site, it is a worthwhile resource I think. Some good pics....and perhaps too a reason for the 'soft' adjustment detents..... Crap and crud ...... Back in the day I purchased an 81 1100E new and sometime in the first year of ownership, one of the adjuster assemblies lost most of the 'click click' feel. Under warranty, dealer took care of it in less than an hour .....was indeed related to debris in the detent mechanism. Anyway...the link.....shows some decent details re the mechanism....and too...the O ring you had mentioned in your OP.

DRod 6-2 KYB 37mm (racetech.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Rouge View Post
      If you have not seen this page on the Race Tech site, it is a worthwhile resource I think. Some good pics....and perhaps too a reason for the 'soft' adjustment detents..... Crap and crud ...... Back in the day I purchased an 81 1100E new and sometime in the first year of ownership, one of the adjuster assemblies lost most of the 'click click' feel. Under warranty, dealer took care of it in less than an hour .....was indeed related to debris in the detent mechanism. Anyway...the link.....shows some decent details re the mechanism....and too...the O ring you had mentioned in your OP.

DRod 6-2 KYB 37mm (racetech.com)
      I had NOT seen that, that is really helpful! I think thats the first decent guide showing internals on this particular version of fork tube, really makes it a lot easier to understand how it all goes together.

I'm guessing these are application-specific instructions for installing their cartridge emulators, and thats why they have you drill out holes? Presumably if im just going with a stock style rebuild (replacing springs), no need to mess with that.

Thanks again for that link, really helpful

Comment

You are welcome.

I have an 83 1100E. Purchased new. I did install the Race Tech emulators, straight rate springs etc. On many of the poorly maintained rural California roads, the change up has made a positive and 'needed' difference. Riding style, roads etc. I think are things to be factored in when cleaning up / refurbishing fork internals.

Others might chime in re fork / spring / emulator mods etc. And yes, Race Tech does have quite a few pages as you have found..or will....re mods specific to your leading axle forks.
        Last edited by Grand Rouge; 08-28-2021, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X