Trip around Finland on a -81 GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trip around Finland on a -81 GS850G

So I’ve been fixing my 850G to take on a 40-years birthday trip (mine and the bike). It was supposed to be to continental Europe but covid changed all that and now I’m going around Finland.

The build thread can be found here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-for-road-trip

I started today from Espoo where I live. Cloudy day, about +15C but no rain.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Juke Nukem; 09-15-2021, 03:28 PM.
    -81 GS850G
    -82 GS450

First destination, Finnish Motorcycle Museum in Lahti. Drove small roads and spent the best part of the day getting there. It’s a small museum but the bikes on display are really cool. No GS’s this year though.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Juke Nukem; 09-15-2021, 03:29 PM.
    -81 GS850G
    -82 GS450

Comment

After Lahti I had to start using the bigger and more boring roads because it was getting late. Arrived to Hankasalmi, where there was an annual meeting of a classic japanese bikes -club. There were some really nice bikes there, including GSs of course.

I had zero chances of actually test driving the bike before leaving, and was really worried when I found out that the steering end wobbles really badly in certain speeds, even when not breaking or accelerating. Higher speeds are Ok. Then I noticed that the front tyre is not properly installed. The lip of the tyre is probably not on the edge of the rim all around. I just had it done in a shop before leaving! Tomorrow it’s sunday and all service places are closed in the countryside, so I’ll have to manage one full driving day with it.

edit: distance covered 373km / 231mi
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Juke Nukem; 09-15-2021, 03:30 PM.
      -81 GS850G
      -82 GS450

Comment

Thanks for the link to your Road Trip Prep. Those bags came out really nice...and fixing the fuel petcock...and the maintenance checklist that had lots of feedback!

I also love that your bike resembles mine with a black tank. That's about all the similarity...lol.

Stay safe!

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Subscribed. Safe travels to you.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Thanks alke and GSXR!

Sunday started after a poorly slept night. I wanted to cover some distance so took big roads right through Kuopio and stopped at Outokumpu for late lunch. Great weather! Then it was Koli, which is a tall fell (we don’t have proper mountains here) and the view from the top is considered a national treasure.

I then took smaller roads through Nurmes, Kuhmo and Suomussalmi. I wanted to get to Kuusamo for the night but it was getting late so didn’t really stop for sights. The last leg was about 140km in darkness, following a truck because there’s a constant threat of elk and now also reindeer. It was pretty exhausting really, I was cold and squeezing the grips so hard that my hands are now jello. Petrol was gettin low too which added to the stress. At 11pm arrived to Kuusamo where everything seemed to be closed. I got some petrol and luckily a spa hotel was open and I got a room. Bought a sandwhich from the reception and went to bed.

edit: distance covered 719km / 446mi
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Juke Nukem; 09-15-2021, 03:33 PM.
            -81 GS850G
            -82 GS450

Comment

Bulked up on the hotel breakfast and headed to town to find a tyre shop. After few tries ended up in a place which normally deals with cars an heavy equipment. They world for a full hour trying to get in fixed. It’s apparently a bit quirky setup I have there. It came out Ok. Not perfect but so much better than before. They charged me next to nothing for the work. Then some oil and other stuff from a few places and further north!

p.s. Another badly slept night, even in hotel sheets. This is starting to feel a bit.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Juke Nukem; 09-15-2021, 03:35 PM.
              -81 GS850G
              -82 GS450

Comment

Headed to Salla and entered Lapland. Finland is pretty empty in general but here it’s just forest and empty roads. It’s starting to be off-season too, so no tourists. Trees are getting shorter and there are small ponds and streams everywhere. the roads are nice and weather continues to be great. This is the best bit so far.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Juke Nukem; 09-15-2021, 03:37 PM.
                -81 GS850G
                -82 GS450

Comment

Reindeers have been all over the place since Kuusamo. Makes me want to follow a car but there aren’t many of those around.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Juke Nukem; 09-15-2021, 03:39 PM.
                  -81 GS850G
                  -82 GS450

Comment

Nice Travels JN (Juke Nukem)

You can call me Ed...instead of GSXR7ED. I've used that profile name since Fall of 2011 when I bought my first bike.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

From Salla switched to smaller roads to Savukoski and then even smaller roads to Sodankylä. Really cool rugged landscape and a narrow but still paved road going through. The pavement was really rough and there were wider spots regularly where two cars could pass each other. The speedo cable apparently broke so I will have to rely on Google maps for the distance information. I’m so glad I have a functioning fuel gauge!

In Sodankylä I had a reindeer-shrimp-pineapple pizza for dinner and drove in one go to Ivalo and set up my tent in a camping area.

Distance covered 442km / 274mi
                      Last edited by Juke Nukem; 09-15-2021, 03:41 PM.
                      -81 GS850G
                      -82 GS450

Comment

Reindeer on a pizza? I wonder if i can get that at my local shop?
                        I followed your preparation thread and now it is great reading about your on-road adventures.
                        Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Great travel stories. Now we just need you to post better pictures. I have written instructions on using Imgur for this purpose, in my signature.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Sorry for the low quality pics
                            I don’t think I’ll subscribe while on the road. Would Dropbox work somehow? That I have.

Anyway, another tent night and then towards Norway. Through Inari, then to East towards Sevettijärvi and Näätämö. Uneventful but nice driving. Beautiful clear lakes and streams. Hardly any reindeers. Cold, must be below 10C. At one point there was a road construction site where they were laying new foundations and I had to deal with loose gravel about 5km. Nerve-wrecking!
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Juke Nukem; 09-15-2021, 03:43 PM.
                            -81 GS850G
                            -82 GS450

Comment

Across the border over to Norway! No problem with the EU certification of full Covid vaccinations. Immediately after crossing it’s all mountains and fjords. Same happens south between Sweden and Norway: Sweden is flat and boring and from the border it’s boom - mountains!

I guess it had to rain eventually. Today has seen showers every now and then but also sun. Arrived in Kirkenes and got a room from a Scandic Hotel, I feel I’ve earned it. Then out to town to a nice restaurant for excellent fish and cold Czech beer. The town is situated by a fjord of the Barent’s sea. Very small town with an iron ore mine, so not exactly the most idyllic place ever but still nice. So glad the old GS took me all the way up here!

edit: distance covered 239km / 148mi
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Juke Nukem; 09-15-2021, 03:44 PM.
                              -81 GS850G
                              -82 GS450

Comment

Working...
                              X