Sleepy tach fix...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleepy tach fix...

So I had a 'sleepy tach', which it seems is not uncommon.
    I had already checked the engine 'innards' when I rebuilt the top end making sure the gearing and cable were okay...
    but the tack was only midly better, slow to respond and never seemed to reflect the actual rpm.
    After researching I decided to put some light oil in it.
    However, being lazy and in a hurry, I did the following:

1. Unbolted the gauges, and with the cables still attached (this the lazy part) I gently turned them upside enough to take a few drops of light oil.
    2. After a couple hours I sprayed a shot of WD40 up the hole. (because I've fallen in love with WD40 again) And it seemed it needed some even lighter oil.
    3. After another hour I put another few drops of light oil in it.
    Having finished my projects and wanting to go for a ride the next morning, I cheated.
    4. I hooked up the air hose and blew a couple very light bursts, about 15psi up the shoot. (This is the impatient part)

And all that did the trick. The tach works great, very responsive and quick, another problem eliminated from the list!
    Last edited by JoeNashville; 08-29-2021, 06:26 AM.
    1979 GS850 G
    1979 GS1000E Resto moded
    1993 Kawasaki ZR1100

The most effective means of preventing tyranny is to illuminate, as far as practicable, the minds of the people at large, and more especially to give them knowledge of those facts. - Thomas Jefferson

Surprised that much lubricant and air pressure didn't cloud the tach face.
    Glad it solved your problem.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Would not recommend spraying anything “up the shoot”. I think you got lucky.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

It was very little lube total and very little air pressure. No luck involved, it's all knowledge, finesse and skill!
        1979 GS850 G
        1979 GS1000E Resto moded
        1993 Kawasaki ZR1100

The most effective means of preventing tyranny is to illuminate, as far as practicable, the minds of the people at large, and more especially to give them knowledge of those facts. - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

You don’t say...
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNashville View Post
            It was very little lube total and very little air pressure. No luck involved, it's all knowledge, finesse and skill!
            Or luck.
            ;,,,,,,,
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNashville View Post
              What about your good looks or does that go without saying?

I would use only two or three drops of sewing machine oil for slow/noisy gauges.
              Again, glad it worked for you
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
              X