Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Katana - 1135EFE - spark plug blown out of head.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep that gave me one hell of a fright!

It is number 2 - under the frame rail, so there is NO way to drill in place.

I am planning on using a timesert and do all 4.
    image003 (1).jpg

Now the problem starts .......... can I remove the head with the engine in the frame?
    This is a 1230EFE

What if I drop the engine mounts?
    Current Bikes.... 81,1230Kat, 86,GSXR1100, 86,RG500,
    The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Kat - 3 cylinder ... now will the head come off with the engine in the frame?

DSC03212 Kat.jpg
    The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Comment

I recently had the head off my 1135 EFE and it would not quite come off sitting in the frame. What i did was put thr hydraulic car jack under the front of engine, remove all engine mount bolts except the main one at rear lower edge of engine. Then i jacked engine up rotating about 5 degrees. This gave just enough room to get head off. Then lower engine and reinsert bolts.
      80 GSX1100 ET
      82 GSX750 EZ
      84 GSX1150 ES
      86 GSX750 ES
      10 GSXR1000

Comment

Couple of points. I'd use a helicoil rather than a timesert. There isn't much room between the plug hole and the seat inserts so the thinnest insert is the safest one to use. Closer to the seats you get the more likely it is to crack.
        And I'd only do the one needed unless another is visibly bad. Chase the threads by all means then look hard under a good light. The more you do, the higher the risk of writing off a good head.

Edit - But you've been told this before on another forum. Do you propose to poll the world until you find an opinion that agrees with yours ?
        Last edited by GregT; 08-30-2021, 04:04 AM.

Comment

lol - Thanks Greg.
          I still don't know if the head can come off with the engine in the frame, i was hoping someone may know.

And thanks for your thoughts on a helicoil... first time I have read that opinion so that alone make this post worth while.
          My plan was to do all 4...you have given me more things to think about, make sense.

I have the time sert kit sitting in my basket on amazon.. but I will not be buying it until the head is off.. if at all now.

Sounds like you have done a spark plug thread fix on these heads..... there is NO thread left to chase it was all chased out with the spark plug!
          Everything I read say NO to helicoils.. but if space is the issue then this maybe the only option.

I am not 100% sure what to do, so i guess its pull the engine, head and see what's what....

And to add... I have no room to pull it part yet as i am waiting on parts for projects at the moment and everything takes sooooo long to get to NZ, add that we are in lock down - no shops are open and the Kat is just sitting there looking at me
          cheers
          Last edited by Arronduke; 08-30-2021, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ensure View Post
            I recently had the head off my 1135 EFE and it would not quite come off sitting in the frame. What i did was put thr hydraulic car jack under the front of engine, remove all engine mount bolts except the main one at rear lower edge of engine. Then i jacked engine up rotating about 5 degrees. This gave just enough room to get head off. Then lower engine and reinsert bolts.
            thanks - Was this in the ES? - I think the Kat frame is even tighter?

Comment

I have to remove my Dyna coils just to get the cam cover off on my 83 1135 Kat to do valve adjustments. Suppose I could take off the breather cover, but never do.

It's been awhile, but I recall removing the head in 83 Kat (if memory serves) in frame, however, replacing base, head gasket & pistons is more difficult with frame rails in the way. Reinserting pistons into block will be fun too.

There's never any help around for me, so I'm always schlepping engines out by myself, so it's easier to remove some of the weight of the engine, if removing from frame. Think AZR asked about weight of engines recently, somewhere in the neighborhood of 160-180 lbs. Can't remember exact #.

Never got my mind around laying the bike on its side to remove engine-having a tiny garage. Do like to wrap front & lower frame rails with bicycle inner tube, zip tied tight to frame, as scratches are difficult to avoid.
              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Arronduke View Post
                lol - Thanks Greg.
                I still don't know if the head can come off with the engine in the frame, i was hoping someone may know.

And thanks for your thoughts on a helicoil... first time I have read that opinion so that alone make this post worth while.
                My plan was to do all 4...you have given me more things to think about, make sense.

I have the time sert kit sitting in my basket on amazon.. but I will not be buying it until the head is off.. if at all now.

Sounds like you have done a spark plug thread fix on these heads..... there is NO thread left to chase it was all chased out with the spark plug!
                Everything I read say NO to helicoils.. but if space is the issue then this maybe the only option.

I am not 100% sure what to do, so i guess its pull the engine, head and see what's what....

And to add... I have no room to pull it part yet as i am waiting on parts for projects at the moment and everything takes sooooo long to get to NZ, add that we are in lock down - no shops are open and the Kat is just sitting there looking at me
                cheers
                I have done several of the 16V heads. GSX and GSXR. Helicoils on the lot and never a problem. Once lockdown is over i can walk into at least three places in ChCh and buy the correct helicoils - I'm out of stock atm but have the taps.. Waiting for international shipping atm is a mugs game.
                As has been said elsewhere, this is meat and drink to an engine reconditioner. And it will have a warranty. I was referring to the remaining good threads when I said chase them. Chasing will clean them up and let you see the condition.

Comment

I recall seeing a fairly thin solid insert that requires removing less metal than a Helicoil, but I can't remember the brand.

In any case, yes, pay close attention to how much metal you're removing.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

clearance1.jpg This is how much clearance i have from top of valve cover to underside of frame (about 100mm) If you have less than that you are probably in trouble.
                    80 GSX1100 ET
                    82 GSX750 EZ
                    84 GSX1150 ES
                    86 GSX750 ES
                    10 GSXR1000

Comment

The problem is the triangular rib in the middle of frame as per this photo
                      clearance2.jpg
                      80 GSX1100 ET
                      82 GSX750 EZ
                      84 GSX1150 ES
                      86 GSX750 ES
                      10 GSXR1000

Comment

The problem is the triangular rib in the middle of frame as per this photo
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]63267[/ATTACH]
                        Is this ok?
                        clearance2.jpg
                        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Weld fail oh my
                          1983 GS 550 LD
                          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Thanks for highlighting that. I had noticed dent in frame but missed that. Further action required.
                            80 GSX1100 ET
                            82 GSX750 EZ
                            84 GSX1150 ES
                            86 GSX750 ES
                            10 GSXR1000

Comment

Thanks for highlighting that. I had noticed dent in frame but missed that. Further action required.

It's hard to see without being there. Do you have access to another bike the same where you can do some comparison measurements?
                              The reason I ask is there looks like a wrinkle (in blue)... and the cam cover clearance looks awful close to the frame. Maybe take a close look all around that area. Perhaps this is why you're having problems?

clearance3 - Copy.jpg
                              sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Working...
                              X