wheelie bar help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheelie bar help

i got my 78 gs550e im drag racing, ya ya get a 1000 they said. i want to do experement with a wheelie bar but im having trouble trying to figure out how to mount it. im new to wheeie bars so any help would be awesome. i got 1 off ebay that ill have to modify to fit my bike but i want to know the best ways about going with it. bike is also my daily so i want to have a street set up and a drag set up. so im assumming i need to take rear shocks off and have a pice of metal in place so the rear cant travel, and thats where im not sure where i should be mounting a wheelie bar. ive seen a lot of different styles and im not sure where to go with it. also running a street tire till i deside to run a different rear swing arm with a wider tire and drag slick.
    1978 gs550e "drag bike"
    1979 gs550l 1st bike
    1981 gs650gl cruiser
    1981 gs250t "race track pit bike"

No offense...but why would you need a wheelie bar on a 78 gs550???
    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
      That's what I was thinking. I'm hoping theres allot more to this story.
      1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Properly set-up they will help with getting maximum potential and/or consistency which is key in bracket racing.
        Fifteen minutes swapping the struts back for shocks and ride to work.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I would recommend that you hang out at the Dragstrip. Start asking questions, most folks would be glad to chat with you. Also, I wouldn't put a lot of money in your 550. You are naturally going to want to go faster and the 550 won't scratch that itch. I'd start looking for a old GS-1100E Tons of parts out there, for the 1100 maybe cheap too. All them electronic gizmos out there are cool, but not necessary. Heck, I never had a tachometer or shift light. I'd run my dial-in all day long. A air shifter would be something I'd look into before the wheelie bar. Good luck and keep us posted. 👍
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Is it wise to assign double duty to a daily driver? Not sure how taxing bracket racing is on the bike.
            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

You are correct in substituting the rear shocks for solid struts.
              Once done mount the wheelie bar to the struts or shock mounts or a combination of both.
              Some fabrication may be needed and make the top bar mounts with adjustable tie rods so you can fine tune the wheelie bar to track clearance.
              Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
              VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
                That's what I was thinking. I'm hoping theres allot more to this story.
                78 gs550e ported head stiffer springs, 12.500 rev limit dyna computer, dyna green coils, jetted carbs, kz650 needles, lowered bike 2 inches front 3 inches rear did mag wheels rather than spoked wheels, rear disc, different handle bars, basicly stock lol. its my daily and im most comfterable on it and i have done 1 drag event in june and i won my bike class!!!!!!! againved a pro mod suzuki and a 9 second sled. bracket racing of course. i had a blast and now i wanna get used to a wheelie bar before i find a 1000 or 1150 gs. already have a lot of money into my bike as it is my daily for the last 12 years. i know people will hate but how many people really race these old bikes reguardess of engine size? im just trying to have fun till i am able to find a start building a bigger bike. but like i said i wanna get comffy with this bike 1st.
                1978 gs550e "drag bike"
                1979 gs550l 1st bike
                1981 gs650gl cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by Darthjames21 View Post
                  78 gs550e ported head stiffer springs, 12.500 rev limit dyna computer, dyna green coils, jetted carbs, kz650 needles, lowered bike 2 inches front 3 inches rear did mag wheels rather than spoked wheels, rear disc, different handle bars, basicly stock lol. its my daily and im most comfterable on it and i have done 1 drag event in june and i won my bike class!!!!!!! againved a pro mod suzuki and a 9 second sled. bracket racing of course. i had a blast and now i wanna get used to a wheelie bar before i find a 1000 or 1150 gs. already have a lot of money into my bike as it is my daily for the last 12 years. i know people will hate but how many people really race these old bikes reguardess of engine size? im just trying to have fun till i am able to find a start building a bigger bike. but like i said i wanna get comffy with this bike 1st.
                  Now the wheelie bars make more sense.

I bracket raced a stick shift car for a few years... it was fun and fast but terribly consistent. And in bracket racing it's all about consistency. Good luck and have fun.
                  1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Well, first let me retract my advice about talking to the other drag bike folks and asking for advice. After you whipping their azzez on your 550 they might not be willing to give you good advice. Lol.
                    Do you have a welder friend? I might be able to machine the nessasary parts for your struts and wheelie bar. You would have to fit it and weld... private message me if you're interested.
                    My Motorcycles:
                    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)
                    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

i can weld. lol i actually talk about some of the racing stuff with the pro mod guy but i like all different opionions and hep and input. storm 64 what parts do you mean machine? i also got a wheelie bar off ebay and it almost fits but i have to widen it 3 inches and cut bacl the upper mount a little. so far from what i go it mocked up i can mount it to the lower shock mount and the exhaust mount hole uner the passanger pegs. if that would work id want to make a cross bar from frame side to side on exhaust mounts for some structure and maybe make solid struts to replace shocls or just use a chunk of metal to replace the struts. also got to get new bar wheels are bearings are *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ed lol.
                      1978 gs550e "drag bike"
                      1979 gs550l 1st bike
                      1981 gs650gl cruiser

Comment

ill also try to get some pics of my *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$box bike and wheelie bar mocked up this weekend. new phone should be here friday night since i dropped mine at work and shaddered the screen. what a rookie.
                        1978 gs550e "drag bike"
                        1979 gs550l 1st bike
                        1981 gs650gl cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                          Properly set-up they will help with getting maximum potential and/or consistency which is key in bracket racing.
                          Fifteen minutes swapping the struts back for shocks and ride to work.
                          Youi being from Ontario may have heard of a friend of mine Kevin Blackmore....raced at Grand Bend...he died at his own hand some years ago (depression)...there is a Blackmore memorial weekend now at Grand Bend Motorplex

He used to say "trevor, anyone can go fast with wheelie bars, it takes talent to go fast without".
                          And trust me, he was fast. Sorry...but a 550 under no circumstances needs a wheelie bar.

Oh and by the I lived with him when this pic was taken...and then he rode it to Western University on Monday.

No signature

Comment

He used to say "trevor, anyone can go fast with wheelie bars, it takes talent to go fast without".
                            And trust me, he was fast. Sorry...but a 550 under no circumstances needs a wheelie bar.
                            Trevor, maybe you missed the part about this being bracket racing?
                            It would help his consistency, and consistency is the whole game.
                            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Darthjames21 View Post
                              ill also try to get some pics of my *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$box bike and wheelie bar mocked up this weekend. new phone should be here friday night since i dropped mine at work and shaddered the screen. what a rookie.
                              We love pics of all bikes even if its a claimed sh1tbox. From your description it sound cool to me.
                              Great that you're having fun with it.
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                              X