GS1000 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 project

Hi guys, new guy here....Dennis. Last night I saw a post on CL for a KZ1000 engine for $100! I was so stoked because I normally come in a few days late. Well I was sick because of fast food and it was late when the dude posted it. So I booked it out his way hoping. I found a brand new stop light on a road I hadn't been on in years and ran it. Well the motor appeared to be worthy of $100 plus he gave me another one to sell and recoup some money!!! I researched all the KZ parts last night and had my list polished up and ready for my birthday wish list. I went out to take pictures of the motor and get some numbers off it this morning and to my surprise there was a weird little S stamped on the case and by the clutch clear as day it read GS1000-127390... Not KZ1000!!! So I had a baby FU fit in the driveway and stomped around for a minute and checked eBay for the right parts. To my surprise much cheaper. So now I have a Suzuki GS1000 engine and no knowledge of what may or may not be wrong with it. I assume that the engine is a 1979 to 1981 but couldn't tell for sure either because the documents I found online are not complete or I lack the brains to figure it out. So if you can tell from that number what the motor is exactly please tell me.

My plan is to figure out if it's a rebuildable unit. If not it will become parts. IF it is rebuildable then I am feeling some sort of junkyard bobber. I will fab my own frame. Fat tires are mandatory and I am fond of the ones on the newer Ninja's The rear is like 6.5 wide so it fits me well. Rigid, solo seat, bobbed fenders tight to the tires, and maybe a 30's truck headlight bucket. Now I'm going to go look at the electrical section here since it will be the downfall of this project and this think doesn't have a single wire on it.

I looked over the motor a little bit better and it turns over with some compression. Can't figure out how good it is since it's being turned by hand. It's missing the majority of outside covers and the stuff under them as well as every screw possible! I think I saw a SS screw kit for it on eBay.

Comment

Do you mean to tell us that you bought a Suzuki motor, thinking it was a Kawasaki motor?

Crap. Welcome to GSR. Good luck with your project!
      Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
      Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
          Do you mean to tell us that you bought a Suzuki motor, thinking it was a Kawasaki motor?

Crap. Welcome to GSR. Good luck with your project!
          Yes I did. Long story short. I had a lot against me. Taco Bell... my buds love it and my guts don't. I gurgled for 2 days!!! Then the fact that the bike shop was just creepy. I was actually going back to the truck to leave when the guy came sliding in and blocked the driveway. As soon as he got out and screamed at me for being there 1 minute before him I reached back and verified my rig was GTG. That was a first for me in 20 years of having my CC I touched my gun out of fear. So now that I am completely freaked out by this 70yo guy he walks up the stairs to his storage and grabs the motor and CARRIES it down the stairs. Nearly 2 flights of stairs with a mostly complete GS1000 in his arms. It's wrapped in plastic wrap and I can smell the rodent crap and *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ from 20 feet away so a yelled sold and opened the door. He noticed the carbs had been robbed and offered me the twin to sell and cover the cost... So technically I didn't even look at the motor until the following day when I was safe in my driveway and able to open it slowly and no have rodent poop fall inside the motor or in my shoes.

I did text the seller and he said he made a mistake and should have looked at the motor first and he would send me the money back and if I wanted I could keep the motors too. I declined because in the end my exact needs was a motor that was a big metric inline 4.

Comment

Damn, the story's worth $100 already!
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Two GS 1000 engines for $100. Sounds good to me.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I ordered the tubing so I should have 90% of the frame on it's way. I opted for a 1.25" with a 2.25" backbone.

Still trying to verify the exact year of my motor so I can buy parts. I feel like it's a 1979 from what I found on that list everybody recommends and from looking at motors for sale claiming to be 1979 and bikes that I could see the engine numbers on. Mine falls in the middle of all the 1979 motors I seen so far. That's 3 and all was highly custom or built from parts so it's shady facts. Hopefully my new manual will shine some light on it for me.

Not 2 GS1000 motors. One is a liquid cooled V twin Suzuki 650. I need to check and see what it actually is and hopefully recover my money or cover the cost of the missing parts.

Comment

Working...
                X