Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Can we ride? COVID-19 and Motorcycling Risk Management.

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

Agreed -- I'm not all that worried about #1, increased exposure to COVID-19.

Although all the best roads are in rural areas struggling the most with COVID-19 and doing the least about it, you can easily ride all day without getting within smelling distance of another human. Carry snacks and drinks, whiz in the woods, and sanitize after pumping gas, and you don't even have to go indoors anywhere.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    In short, don't be Jeff Bridges!
    Show some respect! Call him "The Dude."
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

I thought that was John Wayne.
    '77 GS550B
    '78 GS550C

John Wayne was "THE DUKE".
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.

I though the Duke was Prince Philip.
    '77 GS550B
    '78 GS550C

No, you guys have it all wrong. He was a Jazz Composer... Duke Ellington
    My Motorcycles:
    21 Triumph Tiger 900 GT (coming to a town near you)
    16 Yamaha FJR1300 (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    82 750e (parts Bike)
    80 KZ650f (needs restored)

Quote Originally Posted by storm 64 View Post
    No, you guys have it all wrong. He was a Jazz Composer... Duke Ellington
    Sir Duke!
    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

My riding is very conditional:

- I only ride in dry, warmish weather. Perhaps I should get some practice on wet pavement (somehow), but I've never ridden in anything beyond a light sprinkle.

- I pretty much only do short-distance riding. Around town and to and from work, basically. I did a couple of 3 hour rides though the city and on back roads but didn't enjoy them enough to keep doing it.

- I only ride when I'm feeling 100%. Any amount of mental fatigue or physical pain means I don't ride at all. Reason being I want as much focus on the riding as possible. Situational awareness is 90% of riding safely. You can operate the bike without it, but not for long if you catch my meaning.

I haven't thought much about the availability of hospital beds during COVID. I live in a pretty metro area, there are two major hospitals within 10s of minutes of everywhere I'm likely to be and many more about a half hour out. Where I'm at, I have every confidence that there would be a bed for me if I was ever seriously injured.

You're lucky to live where you are. In the South, 1 out of every four hospitals have at least 95% of there ICU beds full right now. And that doesn't mean that an empty ICU bed will have personnel to treat whoever is in the bed. The National Guard is great at setting up emergency tents full of beds. Staffing them is a whole other ball of wax.

I'm lucky because when I ride I always ride alone and away from traffic and people. Open roads -- and never over the "speed" limit which can sometimes mean 10 miles per hour

Like you, I don't like rain at all -- ever since nearly freezing my nuts off in a freak hail storm in Northern Arizona. Not a bridge or an intersection or a building for miles. It's amazing how much hail (AKA, ice cubes) you can quickly accumulate between your legs on a motorcycle while trying to find cover.
    '77 GS550B
    '78 GS550C

A few of my all-time great motorcycling memories involve storms. My brother and I rode back to Tucson from Nogales, Mexico in one of the most wicked storms I have ever been in back in 1987. I was on my GPz 550, and he was on his CB900f. Horizontal rain, bikes heeled over at absurb angles just to stay in the lane; when we got to my sister's house for dinner, we felt more alive than probably anyone in town.

Then, on the 1150, hitting a massive monsoon outside of Holbrook, AZ on a huge statewide odyssey, listening to Zeppelin's In Through the Out Door. Such a brilliant 45 minutes from Winslow ...
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f