No announcement yet.

650 kickstart doable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i was taking it to school and back and one day when id accelerate it would detonate, guessing it was my ignition sticking due to lack of lubrication and it was about an hour into a ride, did that but have to reset timing, sounds fine when in neutral but under load it acts up in certain rpms, have to reset ignition so the plates are perfectly parallel with each other, and my buddy is letting me use his timing light to ensure its working correctly. i was riding it for a bit lol, my school is in new port richey and i see crashes all the time on the way there or back it makes me want to use the bike less and less for the trip to school lol.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
      If you insist on going all retro with a kicker, don't forget to remove the electronic ignition and put points back in.

While you're at it, go ahead and remove all the instruments and suspension.

If you're going "retro", may as well go at least 100 years.
      nothing wrong with liking a kickstart my bike is only a few years late, they had all the same stuff my bike does when a kickstart was on the motor. wouldnt mind having a hundred year old bike lol especially a harley.
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

Something here is not sounding right with the terms you are using. How about explaining your issues a little more clearly as I’ve never heard anyway say they had to lubricate their ignition
        sigpic
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          How about explaining your issues a little more clearly as I’ve never heard anyway say they had to lubricate their ignition
          That has not happened ever since he started working on that poor bike.

Comment

I saw a video some time ago of the bike "running". "Screaming" would be a better description.

If that is his overall intention, it might be better if it's NOT running.
            must have no seen it run in a while, wouldnt call 1100 rpm idle with all 4 cylinders running screaming. i dont think youve been here since the beginning either, seems like you have to vent out towards somebody.
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

That has not happened ever since he started working on that poor bike.

i wonder how things got done then. i already have another thread of the issue so i dont really need to re-iterate on a topic unrelated to my current issue. go find that topic instead.
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                Something here is not sounding right with the terms you are using. How about explaining your issues a little more clearly as I’ve never heard anyway say they had to lubricate their ignition

a lack of lubrication and a good amount of heat will cause expansion meaning the ignition was rubbing while accelerating. i have to retime it as i wasnt able to just position the ignition to its original marks after removing and lubricating the assembly. i get spark detonation from 1100-2500 while in gear and moving but in neutral the bike revs freely so it must be pretty close to where it needs to be, i just have to get it on the dot. take two curved lines and give one a more aggressive curve to it, overlap them, and thats kindove how my timing looks lined up to how it needs to be. with nothing putting pressure on those lines you can move across them pretty smoothly but once under pressure you can feel where the "line" is not lined up correctly.
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                  he’s now only left with frivolous things to add to the bike, like a Kickstarter.

if it doesnt work, it doesnt. no clue why this thread is still going when its not unrelated to the topic... i guess ill always get a repercussion just from simply posting on here. no big deal the more people that doubt me the better it is when its going right, and the less people i have to thank lol.

things are just taking a bit longer than expected, i could've done it when the problem first arrived but im in school 5 days a week and im the ambassador of the class, i get worn before i get home lol.
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

Keep at it. Just keep it simple. No need to add to problems by considering adding things the bike was never intended to have. peace. Does the XV750 run?
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                      Keep at it. Just keep it simple. No need to add to problems by considering adding things the bike was never intended to have. peace. Does the XV750 run?

no xv750 has not been ran or checked too much yet, i have the carbs sitting waiting to be installed, the rebuild was absolutely necesarry, couldnt even make out where the jets were supposed to be because so much gunk was clumped everywhere, and the gas was not residue, but resin. they look great now just havent had the energy to get it going.

installed the battery a little back and lights turned on, everything seemed to be working until i clicked the starter and all the lights shut off, turned the key a few times and nothing, so a load test on the battery, tracing the battery ground to make sure its suitable, and running along the positive terminal to the starter are what i need to do first to see why a load wasnt able to be handled. this one might be a bit slow but this time its on purpose lol, looking to sell it not keep it really, i can find a v-twin motorcycle fairly easily anytime.
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

The GS650E certainly can be retrofit to have a kickstarter. The bottom end is virtually the same as the 550 chain drive.
                        I think I looked up Suzuki part #'s a few yrs ago on the crankcases, and found that the 650E crankcases shared the same part # as at least a few years of 550 8v. I was surprised, must've been a supersession, as to fit any model GS650 cylinders on 77-79 GS550 cases, you need to do some work with a die grinder to clearance the 550 cases for the 650 cylinder sleeves.
                        The crankshaft most certainly is identical between the 550 & 650E...The 650E I can't recall if it's a 6 speed like the 550, or a 5 speed like the 750?

So a case swap certainly would bet you a kickstart GS650E...

BUT...
                        Looking at your signature (original poster), you have a GS650G... shaft drive. Totally different bottom end, 100%. Tbe only similarities are the ignition & stator cover area parts, maybe a few seals/o-rings, and a couple of the many gears in the transmission...
                        Kickstarter on a GS650G?
                        Not reasonably possible without some incredible machining & fab skills, and some very good luck & skill/experience TIG welding porous oil saturated old cast aluminum to be machined for kick assemblies.
                        '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                        '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                        '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                        '79 GS425stock
                        PROJECTS:
                        '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                        '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                        '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                        '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                        '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

The '79 GS850G was the only shaft drive Suzuki GS model that had a kickstarter provision. That engine is not swappable into a 650G frame without extensive frame modification in height and front cradle tubing re-spacing to accomodate the exhaust.
                          At that point, it'd be far easier to track down a '79 GS850G even if it meant cross country driving. It'd save you extensive frame jig fab time to spend a weekend driving to pick up a kickstart shafty 850...
                          Or a 77-79 550 or 750.
                          The 650 top end is superior to all of them though, but an 844cc GS750 8v hemi is an absolute screamer, albeit heavier than a 673cc stock GS650E or G
                          Last edited by Chuck78; 10-11-2021, 11:33 AM.
                          '79 GS425stock
                          PROJECTS:
                          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

And I'm very boggled as to your saying the ignition just needed lubricated, and would rub when it got hot and expanded...
                            The only thing that could need lubricated would be the mechanical advancer assembly, and that being stuck and not advancing would cause the opposite of detonation, timing would be retarded and lack power. Too much advance will cause detonation & more power at the fine line of too far.

I really think you are looking at the wrong areas of the bike to troubleshoot your ignition rubbing when hot / needing lubricated & causing detonation.

Do you have another thread specifically for this topic?
                            Float height, fuel starvation, sticking/rubbing floats, or intake boot etc air/vacuum leaks would certainly seem to be more the issue needing investigated based on your description.
                            '79 GS425stock
                            PROJECTS:
                            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                            X