Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member from Canada with an old GS1000, hoping to bring it to life

Hi all,

Got a good deal on an old GS that had been sitting in a guy's garage for a long time. No idea if it runs, seems to need most of the usual things a sitting bike needs (tires, fork seaks, brakes need major rebuilding, fuel tank iffy, etc)

Need to get a battery, auxillary fuel supply, and probably some new plugs and wire ends to see how it runs before going too much further.

Hoping to do something of a resto-mod, Already a pretty cool looking bike so not planning to change it as radically as the '83 650 Tempter I redid into cafe/bobber type thing. Will have many questions as the build comes along!

GS1000 small.jpg

Very interesting. A good carb cleaning is probably necessary. Looks like it's got some after market stuff. The shocks. And maybe wiseco pistons?
    2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
    82 gs1100L probably the next project
    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Yeah, I was curious about that wiseco sticker too! Maybe just for looks but who knows. Will definitely have to look into carb cleaning and what people reccomend for rebuild kits. I did pod filters and rejetting on my other bike, but it was so hard to tune I'm thinking to stay stock on this one.

Comment

No rebuild kits, just good soaking in berryman's carb dip for about 24 hrs each and then spray through all passages with carb cleaner in a spray can followed by compressed air.
        New o-ring kit is available from cycleorings.com run by a forum member (Robert Barr) is the name.

Good luck, looks like a nice bike to bring back to life.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Should have mentioned, you need to break the carbs apart and remove all things that will remove. Just don't soak any rubber parts in the dip.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Is that a '78?

Welcome to the site.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Welcome to the site.
              In depth carb rebuild here.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

It says '79 on the tag! Just realized I have no key for the fuel cap, ignition key doesn't seem to fit. Any tips to remove without key? It seems new ones can be had if I can get this one off.

Comment

Are there numbers on the tank lock? I found matching keys on Ebay I think.
                  2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                  82 gs1100L probably the next project
                  1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                  1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Cool! Looks like it's wearing an 82 1100 or 82 750 16v tank. Those are difficult to fit with those carbs as the petcock doesn't clear. You might find the petcock is hitting a carb top... You might need to swap it out.

Welcome to the madhouse
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Ah interesting! I did note that there seems to be a hole for the original petcock position covered up by a piece of metal, and the current petcock is mounted further to the rear! I should take a pic in case I ever need to rebuild it, i'll know what kit to buy if its not from a '79

Comment

Working...
                      X