Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas cap removal without key

Hey all,

I recently got an old GS1000E that had been sitting, but it only came with a key in the ignition. Seems like the fuel cap took a different key (like it does on my Tempter). Any tips on getting the old fuel cap off with no key? Seems like aftermarket caps are available as long as I can get this one off without damaging the tank.

Thanks for any help!

I have taken a few caps off that were locked and I did not have the key, When I do it, I always destroy the lock, but the tank does not get damaged. First I find a craftsman flat head screw driver that will get into the key slot fairly well, then I put a wrench on the handle and give it a hard twist. Basically, I just end up breaking the tumbler of the lock and unlocking the cap. Not elegant, but fast and effective.
    And most of the Japanese motorcycles I have owned have used the same key for the cap as the ignition, but when previous owners change parts, this can easily change. I have had second hand bikes that have had a separate key for the ignition, gas cap, helmet lock and seat lock, but originally it should have been one key.
    1981 Suzuki GS250T
    1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
    1985 Suzuki GS550E
    2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Is there a 3 digit code on the gas cap lock?
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yep, there should be a three digit code on the gas cap, ignition and seat lock.
        In my case the ignition was replaced and has a different key.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

It's a very simple wafer lock, so poke around Youtube for videos of picking, raking, or using "jigglers" to open wafer locks.

I'd say it's well worth trying to get it open without destroying the core. Once you get it open and take the core out, you can very likely get it to function with the key you have by rearranging, removing, or filing the wafers. You'll lose a little security, but it wasn't a very secure lock in the first place.

Or, just twist it open with a screwdriver if you're in a hurry and don't mind replacing it. It's not all that strong.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Turns out the ignition key for the gas cap, it was just rusty and sticky. A bit of cleaning and lube and it’s good to go.

Comment

Wow, and it only took two years.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

You can also make a L shaped pick and just slide the lock tab at the bottom of the cylinder and remove the complete cylinder. Then use a scewdriver to turn the locks. I wrote about this many years ago. The tab usually slides towards the front of the bike. Its not [erfectly flat to the bottom of the bore so some giddling will take place. But once you have the retainer slid over a little upward pressure will slide it out
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                X