Turn Signal Gremlins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn Signal Gremlins

Yesterday I noticed right rear turn signal not working. Tapping/twisting the stalk got it to flash briefly. Last night because I was at Walmart anyway, I picked up 4 bulbs. They didn’t have the 23W ones my manual calls for, so I got the 21W bulbs they had on the shelf (actually in a locked case I had to bother someone to help me get). But I digress.

This morning, on taking things apart to find the source or the intermittent signal, I found the broken connector circled in the first pic. It being Labor Day and the local hardware store closed, my repair solutions were limited. I found a copper battery lug in my stash of terminals that some quick hammering and some dremel work transformed into just what I needed.

I was pretty proud of myself for this repair, got everything re-wired back up. Test. Right rear signal works great, but now the F#@$&*g Left Rear signal doesn’t. I swapped bulbs, new ones, old ones. Nothing. When I flick the turn signal left, the dash light and front left come on solid and the left rear does not light.

So what could I have done while fixing the wiring in the right rear stalk to make the left rear stop working?

I’m going for a ride. Too nice a day to waste. No one needs to know where I’m going anyway.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 09-06-2021, 02:52 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

I think I got it. I think I pulled the +wire to the left stalk as I was working under the fender. Working on it now.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Iu's just going to ask if you had slightly tugged on any other wires while fix'in the first one, makes good sense. Hope it's fixed.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

All good. Sometimes you just have to B!itch about something out loud (or on an Internet forum) to somebody besides your wife (she is not sympathetic at all).

NOW I’m going for a ride. Thanks for reading.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

This true. Very often the act of writing down a problem causes a solution to appear
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

That is a nice part that you made.
            1981 GS1100E
            1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by metalfab View Post
              Wait for some future owner to come on here in fifty years looking for a part number
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by metalfab View Post
                Thanks

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                Wait for some future owner to come on here in fifty years looking for a part number
                Maybe I should patent it and go into production.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Resourceful and imaginative.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    Resourceful and imaginative.
                    Don't know about all that. But I am thinking about changing my entry in the Pic-of-the-Week thread as this repair fits the "not quite stock" theme this week.

This general discussion area is to be used as the <b>non-controversial topics</b>. This forum is open to all. Forum rules apply!
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Working...
                    X