borderline exhaust valve clearances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

borderline exhaust valve clearances

after re-assembling my '81 GS550T, five of thevalve clearances are clearly within spec, one is way out (.115mm for intake) and two are borderline.

The borderline ones are both exhaust, one on the low side (.03mm) and one on the high side (.10mm).

I'll adjust the .115 and .03 (too tight for exhaust in my book), but any input on the .10mm for exhaust?

Thx
    Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Error on the large clearance side. It's no problem running clearance up to .12mm. Tight on the other hand is NO GOOD.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Error on the large clearance side. It's no problem running clearance up to .12mm. Tight on the other hand is NO GOOD.
      Thanks. I'll leave the .1 exhaust alone. INteresting the others are both on cyl3, .115 intake (too loose for me) and .03 exhaust (too tight)
      Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

Do you know what shims are on each valve?
        A simple swap could solve both exhausts if you are lucky.
        If it was just the .10 it would be safe enough to leave as is.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
          Do you know what shims are on each valve?
          A simple swap could solve both exhausts if you are lucky.
          If it was just the .10 it would be safe enough to leave as is.
          I only addressed the extreme ones. With my collection of shims from past projects I was able to get all intakes between .04 and .1, and all exhausts between .06 and .1.

Good enough for now.

Comment

Just a thought but I you keep a record of what shim thickness is where you can sometimes fix a clearance issue by swapping known shims.
            97 R1100R
            Previous

Comment

Just a thought but I you keep a record of what shim thickness is where you can sometimes fix a clearance issue by swapping known shims.
              Good point. I've done enough that it would also have to include shim diameter (25, 29, 29.5)

Comment

Have you got smaller than stock diameters on there?
                97 R1100R
                Previous

Comment

Have you got smaller than stock diameters on there?
                  No, they are all the correct diameter. My total shim collection has multiple diameters because I have owned and resurrected numerous bikes over the years and different bikes/mfrs use different shim diameters.

Comment

Working...
                  X