GSX1150 Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, a proper challenged. Subbed.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Seeing as I don't own a Drill Press I wouldn't be so stupid as to have a Go with a handheld cordless drill.
      80 GSX1100 ET
      82 GSX750 EZ
      84 GSX1150 ES
      86 GSX750 ES
      10 GSXR1000

Comment

Seeing as the Cylinder Head is off it was time to check out condition of the cylinders.
        Its not pretty. Theres a lot of crud in there and some rust in cylinder bore.
        [IMG][/IMG]

No.1
        [IMG][/IMG]

No.4
        [IMG][/IMG]

No.3

[IMG][/IMG]

& No.2

[IMG][/IMG]

And here is cylinder bore with rust

[IMG][/IMG]
        80 GSX1100 ET
        82 GSX750 EZ
        84 GSX1150 ES
        86 GSX750 ES
        10 GSXR1000

Comment

Originally posted by ensure View Post
          It doesn't look too bad but a couple of issues have presented themselves here. 1 spark plug would not come out and 2 of the bolts that hold the cam shaft covers in place snapped off when i was removing them.
          Its off to the Engine Reconditioner to get these items fixed.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
          I had nearly identical problems, two broken and frozen plugs and two stripped cam cover holes. I just handed it over to one of the best engine re-builders in Canada, Vass Preformance Cycle. I had him rebuild the entire head for $1,200, money well spent.

You have someone in Auckland with a fantastic reputation, Brent Hyde. I've dealt with him in regards to my Honda CBX not sure what his history is with Suzuki or if he can be of any help. brentmopar@xtra.co.nz
          1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Once i scraped out the crud from cylinders i thought it prudent to remove cylinder as well.
            There was rusty buildup on the studs but the cylinders themselves look OK

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

That was all wiped / scraped away fairly easily.

I got the cylinder head back from engine shop. They had to drill out the problem spark plug and so heli-coiled it. They also did the other 3 as the threads were had it.
            A few extra dollars got the head skimmed as well.

Before
            [IMG][/IMG]

and after

[IMG][/IMG]
            80 GSX1100 ET
            82 GSX750 EZ
            84 GSX1150 ES
            86 GSX750 ES
            10 GSXR1000

Comment

So now I needed to get the engine back in the frame so i could see if it would run. In previous restorations i have used the 'Tip the engine over and lower the frame over it" approach. Easy enough when he frame is bare but this was still fully assembled and i really couldn't be bothered dismantling it so an alternate approach was required.
              This required a garden pergola, blocks of wood, paving tiles and some tie down straps.
              Step 1: Get the bike and engine in position adjacent to each other
              [IMG][/IMG]

Step 2: lift the engine up by tilting it back and forth and inserting wood/tiles under it. Use the straps to stop it tipping over.

[IMG][/IMG]

Once at the right height put some timber across frame to drag the engine over

[IMG][/IMG]

Almost there

[IMG][/IMG]

And done

[IMG][/IMG]

Now to get the Cylinder Head back on.

[IMG][/IMG]
              80 GSX1100 ET
              82 GSX750 EZ
              84 GSX1150 ES
              86 GSX750 ES
              10 GSXR1000

Comment

Originally posted by ensure View Post
                So now I needed to get the engine back in the frame so i could see if it would run. In previous restorations i have used the 'Tip the engine over and lower the frame over it" approach. Easy enough when he frame is bare but this was still fully assembled and i really couldn't be bothered dismantling it so an alternate approach was required.
                Installing an engine on your own is a challenge, it's good to see another method of installation.

I'll be doing the same in a couple of months but as mine will be complete tear down to paint the frame, So I get to lay the engine on it's side and drop the frame on it which I've never tried before.
                1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Real go it aloners. Reminds me of me in college, changing engines on a VW bug and my '68 Camaro virtually single-handed. 20-year-olds have a lot of energy.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Good work. You can do it with a hoist on it side without removing too much stuff but I know that tail section can be a pain. Harbor Freight furniture dolly underneath, chain hoist also from HF so the investment was about $60. I use it all the time as I don't trust those lifts that are only under the frame. For chain, fork, tire work etc. I put the loop under the seat through the frame rails. On the front, through the neck if the tank's still on.

Rob - I once put a 1600 dual port upright in a VW bus and no problem all by myself until putting the bolts in from behind the shroud. Arms just wouldn't fit, required shorter arms and smaller fingers I guess. Asked my wife for help, and she popped them in faster that I could believe.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                    '79 GS100E
                    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                      Rob - I once put a 1600 dual port upright in a VW bus and no problem all by myself until putting the bolts in from behind the shroud. Arms just wouldn't fit, required shorter arms and smaller fingers I guess. Asked my wife for help, and she popped them in faster that I could believe.
                      I was fixing the VW Bug for a girl I was infatuated with. While I was sweating under her car, she was driving my Camaro and sleeping with my best friend. So, sort of the same thing.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Having got the engine back in the frame and everything connected I thought I would do a leakdown test and compression test as a last check before firing it up.
                        Uh-Ooh
                        Readings are 50 50 67 60.
                        Something is not right so it I need to pull the head off and check the valves. Should probably have done it earlier but you live in hope.

[IMG][/IMG]

How are these for nasty. Its no wonder I wasn't getting much compression

[IMG][/IMG]

Exhaust Valves are terrible

[IMG][/IMG]

Now this is a job that I can use my handheld drill for. Valve Luffing
                        A bit of rubber fuel line inside the large diameter fuel line grips the valve stem quite nicely.
                        Turn the drill on and push and pull with a bit of valve grinding paste and a bit of pressure on the valve (my thumb) and it gives a nice light grind.

[IMG][/IMG]

Hopefully this will improve the situation.
                        80 GSX1100 ET
                        82 GSX750 EZ
                        84 GSX1150 ES
                        86 GSX750 ES
                        10 GSXR1000

Comment

I just assumed, that since you'd sent the head off for machining, that you'd stripped it.
                          At the very least, you can't expect ancient valve stem seals to still be good.
                          ---- Dave
                          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Did you check the valve guide clearances?

Don't overdo the valve grinding, contact area should only be be a few mm wide
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

First one done. What a difference
                              From this
                              [IMG][/IMG]

To this in first pass.

[IMG][/IMG]

To this. Gave the cylinder head a bit of clean as well.

[IMG][/IMG]

Should be able to get a few more PSI compression now.
                              80 GSX1100 ET
                              82 GSX750 EZ
                              84 GSX1150 ES
                              86 GSX750 ES
                              10 GSXR1000

Comment

Finished the remaining Valve Seats
                                [IMG][/IMG]

And re-instated the Valves

[IMG][/IMG]

Along with some new Valve stem oil seals (actually ones off my spare engine )

[IMG][/IMG]

Now that the engine is back together we will see if it will fire up

[IMG][/IMG]

I also made an interesting discovery in the Spares box - 1 set of RS36 Carbs - T36 D3E (from 1987 as the previous owner has engraved his initials and date on the underside of covers)

[IMG][/IMG]

I will stick with the standard Carbs for initial testing this weekend
                                80 GSX1100 ET
                                82 GSX750 EZ
                                84 GSX1150 ES
                                86 GSX750 ES
                                10 GSXR1000

Comment

Working...
                                X