1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiAlfa156 View Post
      Most excellent work.
      Indeed. Most excellent!

Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
      Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Im digging it. The dual headlights look cool.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

So here is the original tank, complete with small dent, paint missing and a bit of rust

[IMG][/IMG]

And the new Tank

[IMG][/IMG]

Does it need a Logo?

[IMG][/IMG]

The eagle eyed will have noticed I also painted the front fender. Its OK from the side but front on it is a bit off centre.

The Exhaust is next item to address.
          80 GSX1100 ET
          82 GSX750 EZ
          84 GSX1150 ES
          86 GSX750 ES
          10 GSXR1000

Comment

In the previous photos you will have noticed a chrome header, black exhaust and a temporary fibreglass pipe to join the 2 ends (for alignment purposes only)
            I had the rear half of the V&H Exhaust on the bike but I lost it. I had drilled a hole in underside of RH rear footpeg bracket and riveted in a bracket to fix the muffler to but as you know the V&H exhaust is a 2 piece unit. While out for a test ride at rush hour on the motorway the rivet broke loose and the muffler got jettisoned. The bike got very loud but i thought something had just got loose. I pulled over when i could and eventually noticed the whole muffler was gone. Thankfully i had been in the slow lane so I presume it bounced off the side of the road. I went back a few hours later once traffic had quietened down but could not find it anywhere. Hence the need for a replacement.

Option 1 - old round one that came with my GSX1100 ET

[IMG][/IMG]

Option 2 - LHS muffler off my old K8 GSXR1000

[IMG][/IMG]

Option 3 - Fix up old 1 piece unit from another old bike

[IMG][/IMG]

And the winner is Option 3

I had a friend weld on new 4" pipe to house the muffler as it was pitted with holes

[IMG][/IMG]

And it can be securely mounted to footpeg bracket so i shouldn't lose it.

[IMG][/IMG]
            80 GSX1100 ET
            82 GSX750 EZ
            84 GSX1150 ES
            86 GSX750 ES
            10 GSXR1000

Comment

And onto the rear wheel replacement. Even though its been done a thousand times before it is hard to find all the information you want in 1 location.
              I have a 5.5" rear wheel which I bought a couple of years ago but after reading online the required alterations I found a better option which is to install a 4.5" rear wheel. This means I can stick with the existing swingarm which is a big bonus. I don't really want a big fat rear tyre on the bike anyway.
              First step was to establish exactly what the existing installation comprised of and draw it up. (I have access to Autocad through my work so that made it easier)

This is what i established as the existing rear wheel setup all drawn up to the nearest mm.

[IMG][/IMG]

I have bought a 4.5" rear wheel (from a GSXR750K) complete with cush drive

[IMG][/IMG]

Cush Drive is too wide so I am chasing up Bike Wreckers for a narrower option.
              It appears the best option is off a 2004 GS500 and I am also after brake caliper and mounting bracket from a GSX650F katana.
              Hopefully I will get those this week

In the meantime I am drawing up what the new setup will look like and what i will require in the way off offsets, spacers and grinding off
              80 GSX1100 ET
              82 GSX750 EZ
              84 GSX1150 ES
              86 GSX750 ES
              10 GSXR1000

Comment

Originally posted by ensure View Post
                rush hour on the motorway the rivet broke loose and the muffler got jettisoned
                Years ago, out on a poker run across Washington State, the muffler on my GS1100E decided to divorce itself from my bike at close to 100mph. As it came off, it took a big chunk out of my rear wheel. A buddy was following me and very confused by what was ahead of him. Neither of us could initially figure out what had happened when we pulled off the road a ways ahead (I was kneeling down on the left side of the bike and looking at the motor and the headers as he pulled up with look like his brain was trying to make sense of what he had seen). As I walked around to the right side, things became more obvious to both of us. He ran back up the road to pick it up and I was able to temporarily "secure" it with zip ties and some wire until we could make it to an auto parts store and I was able to jerry rig a slightly more secure attachment with some hose clamps. Was still running the bike with that tire when I parked it. I'll try to take a pic of the bite next time I'm in the garage.

Comment

Ha, ha: The sidecovers flew off a few times on my first 1150. My riding partner and I would usually have a pretty good laugh when that happened.
                  1986 1150EF
                  2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

And this is what the new rear wheel arrangement will hopefully look like

[IMG][/IMG]

GS500 Cush Drive has arrived and I have the GSX650 Katana Rear Caliper and Bracket on the way. The Bracket will require a bit of cutting/grinding.

I have started by lining up centre of wheel with existing one and then working outwards to determine thickness of spacers required.
                    80 GSX1100 ET
                    82 GSX750 EZ
                    84 GSX1150 ES
                    86 GSX750 ES
                    10 GSXR1000

Comment

I have a spare swingarm that I am going to transplant onto the bike as the current one has a tiny crack. This has made it easier in setting it up as I can do it on the bench. Well mostly easier but step 1 was very hard. Get the swingarm off the spare frame. I had beem oiling and spraying the swingarm bolt for weeks in preparation. It rotated freely in the frame but I could not force it out. I presumed that the axle had seized onto 1 of the spacers in the pivot bearing.
                      I tried hitting it very hard many times but to no avail so out with the hacksaw to cut the axle. (not once but twice) After the first cut I still couldnt pivot the central piece out so had to make a second cut. A slow painful process as due to a lack of space I had to use a hacksaw blade wrapped in tape for a handle to get in there.
                      Success eventually.

[IMG][/IMG]

I have mocked up how everything will go back together

[IMG][/IMG]

If you look closely you can see where I have cut down the bracket on the outer edge

[IMG][/IMG]

And the other side.

[IMG][/IMG]

Next issue is to check out chain alignment.

The only issues so far with this setup is that the GSX650 rear caliper bracket and GS500 Cush drive both come off a 17mm dia axle and I am sticking with the 20mm axle. I was able to drill out the caliper bracket hole easy enough but the Cush Drive spacer is much tougher. I got a friend with a lathe to drill that one out and now it is all pieced together.
                      80 GSX1100 ET
                      82 GSX750 EZ
                      84 GSX1150 ES
                      86 GSX750 ES
                      10 GSXR1000

Comment

Here is a shot of the old swingarm that is a bit twisted. There is a crack about 25mm long on the top face.

[IMG][/IMG]

And here is the Cush Drive space I had to get drilled out to fit on 20mm axle

[IMG][/IMG]

Prior to swapping the rear wheel over I thought i would check the difference in ground clearance. This is what I have now. (107mm)
                        Used my best ruler for this one.

[IMG][/IMG]

A coat of Black (actually its a very dark metallic grey) I had on the shelf has transformed the wheel. Starting to look pretty good now

[IMG][/IMG]

and the other side

[IMG][/IMG]
                        80 GSX1100 ET
                        82 GSX750 EZ
                        84 GSX1150 ES
                        86 GSX750 ES
                        10 GSXR1000

Comment

Nice. Someday when the stars align and I have the time and money to give my 1150 a proper treatment, I’d love to fit mid 90s Triumph Trident wheels. Very similar visually to the Suzuki ones, but in a bit more modern sizes and a 17" front. Maybe a tad lighter, but probably not nearly as much as newer wheels.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

So out with the old and in with the new

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The existing shaft has this spacer fixed on it

[IMG][/IMG]

I am changing sprockets from 15/42 to 17/47 to maintain same ratio for now.

[IMG][/IMG]

I am changing to 530 chain and have installed 6mm spacer (JTS-JTF518B) in there behind sprocket (JTS-JTF51317)

On the rear wheel I have a JTS-JTR82947 sprocket

Not enough clearance here to the tyre (160/60/17)

[IMG][/IMG]

So I have added some washers in between sprocket and cush hub (5mm) to give me 2-3mm clearance from chain to tyre.
                            I had to use longer bolts off the GSX650 Cush drive
                            80 GSX1100 ET
                            82 GSX750 EZ
                            84 GSX1150 ES
                            86 GSX750 ES
                            10 GSXR1000

Comment

I had issues fitting my chain conversion and I have oem wheels. Changing to the 530 17/45 sprockets moved the chain height to where it would contact the peg hanger bolts. I found reversing the rear sprocket which was dished provided the extra couple of mm's I needed for clearance.
                              1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Have you done a weight comparison for the new wheels vs the oem wheels?
                                1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Working...
                                X