No announcement yet.

GSX1150 Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had issues fitting my chain conversion and I have oem wheels. Changing to the 530 17/45 sprockets moved the chain height to where it would contact the peg hanger bolts. I found reversing the rear sprocket which was dished provided the extra couple of mm's I needed for clearance.

This is exactly what happened with my bike as well.

[IMG][/IMG]

What I did was file down the end of bolt until I got bored. Then I inserted a washer between the hanger and the frame. This gave me 2mm or so and cleared the footrest bolt.

[IMG][/IMG]

I havent done a weight comparison yet but i have checked ground clearance
    I have lost 13mm or so under the exhaust

[IMG][/IMG]
    80 GSX1100 ET
    82 GSX750 EZ
    84 GSX1150 ES
    86 GSX750 ES
    10 GSXR1000

Comment

Filing down the bolts ha that never occurred to me, I'll file that tip away in my brain for future reference. That demonstrates what's great about forums the accumulated experience and knowledge to solve problems, I've book marked this page you've added some very valuable info for future conversions.
      Last edited by wyly; 11-19-2021, 07:45 PM.
      1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Here is slightly clearer shot to show chain clearance from foot peg bolt

[IMG][/IMG]

I had to come up with somewhere to mount indicators at front of bike seeing as how i have got rid of the fairing frame.
        I had these little indicators lying around and they mount nicely onto the bracket which originally fixed instrument cluster to frame

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

As part of the 'Skinnying Up' process I cut down the rear inner mudguard as well removing the big plastic hunk where number plate light went.
        I had to revert to Macgyver mode and hack away here but the final result works

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

It is a little flimsy as I had to hack out enough plastic to move the fender forward about 100mm and get it to fit around the frame

[IMG][/IMG]
        80 GSX1100 ET
        82 GSX750 EZ
        84 GSX1150 ES
        86 GSX750 ES
        10 GSXR1000

Comment

Smart thinking on the front indicators.
          There are some people that actually like the giant rear fender / light thing. I'm not one of them either....
          http://Untitled by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I went with M-Blaze indicators, crazy small...but very bright!

I've considered chopping my rear fender but I may yet shape a new one out of aluminum to match the rest of my fairing.
            Last edited by wyly; 11-19-2021, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Got the new sprockets installed front and back

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The wheel alignment is pretty close.

[IMG][/IMG]

Although its a bit worrying when viewed from the back. I thought i had stuffed something up in the alignment

[IMG][/IMG]

I put the old wheel back on to check and that sits in exactly the same place so I think i am OK there.

[IMG][/IMG]

I also cutout a rubber ring to fill in the headlight surround. Used a 1.5mm sheet of rubber and cut it to suit.

[IMG][/IMG]

The gear shift level was also bent so i have replaced that from the spares box

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

All set for a proper test ride now.
              80 GSX1100 ET
              82 GSX750 EZ
              84 GSX1150 ES
              86 GSX750 ES
              10 GSXR1000

Comment

Finally got the bike out on the road. A few minor niggles but runs straight, I can release handlebars at 100kph and there is no hint of a twitch.
                It goes round left and right corners equally well without wanting to weave across road.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I have got the original tank back on as i have a minor issue with fuel tap on other tank.
                I think I like this one more anyway.
                80 GSX1100 ET
                82 GSX750 EZ
                84 GSX1150 ES
                86 GSX750 ES
                10 GSXR1000

Comment

"....without wanting to weave across the road"....always a good thing.

Congrats on the successful test ride.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Nice. That was a quick turnaround considering what you started with.
                    Congratulations on saving another old machine.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Looks really good, nice to hear it rides well. I thought I would hate the headlights but it actually looks pretty cool.
                      1986 1150EF
                      2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

ensure, that offset rear wheel can't be right, can it?? The offset may be causing the almost zero clearance on the footpeg bolt. I know nothing of this machine but I'd be amazed if it is correct!!
                        Last edited by allojohn; 11-22-2021, 02:21 PM.
                        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

The timeframe may seem impressive but by the time I started Posting I had already been going for a month or two so I was catching up to start with. I managed to miss those 2 week gaps between posts while waiting for bits to turn up.

The wheel sits true in the swingarm with equal spacing to LHS & RHS and I got out the string line to front wheel and it looked right.
                          I think I need to check whether the rear of the frame is slightly twisted.

Can anyone else post a photo of their rear wheel from directly behind?
                          80 GSX1100 ET
                          82 GSX750 EZ
                          84 GSX1150 ES
                          86 GSX750 ES
                          10 GSXR1000

Comment

Well, you’ve done more this year then I’ve done on mine in 22 years.
                            Sorry, but I can’t post an accurate rear view pic. Something on mine is bent from either the PO’s or my wreck in the early 2000s. I still have chain alignment issues on a stock setup. I have read that the rear subframe vs wheel center wasn’t terribly accurate from the factory.
                            sigpic

Glen
                            -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

I'll try to get an accurate photo in a few days. I'll see if I can run a chalkline on the tire for reference. I think if you stringlined it, that's about all you can do to check it.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Big Block; 11-22-2021, 07:14 PM.
                              1986 1150EF
                              2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Yeah that alignment looks very suspect, I had a quick look at mine oem setup and it's not like that. Without knowing the bikes complete history it's hard to say what's happening there. When I did my last sprocket chain/alignment I used a laser to confirm the wheel was tracking straight, can't trust the factory alignment marks.

Comment

Working...
                                X