Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What did I do??

Hello folks:
    I had a perfectly running79-850 with oil leaks. I know 1 thing at a time. Anyhow I changed carb "O" rings, rebuilt auto cam chain and re oil sealed tach. drive. Now when it starts, it runs well but I hear a whining sound and the higher I rev it when moving I get a louder whining sound and pickup is compromised compared to before. Especially at higher RPM.
    When working on carbs I was especially careful to count screws turn before removing and replacing "O" rings.
    I still have an oil leak from left side crankcase cover. Still have to remove and find out what's what.
    Any suggestions tips on what you think it is?I'll start working on it tomorrow and tell you what I find.
    Thanks
    joepenoso

2X 1979 GS Suzuki G

I’d try cleaning/lubing the tack cable. Also unmount the tachometer and drip a few drops of some kind of light oil (sewing machine oil? No sprays) into the drive hole in the back of the tach. You can put a small square drive bit in your drill and, on reverse, run the tach a bit. Put everything back together and see if the noise goes away. The compromised pick up you think you feel could be psychosomatic, because you here the whine. Or maybe not. But at least it’s a free check.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Did you wind up the tensioner spring and push in the plunger before tightening the setscrew before reinstalling the tensioner? Then upon install, release the setscrew and snug down the nut? Reason for asking is because if the tensioner plunger is sticking out too far it can push too hard on the cam chain and over tension it.
      Last edited by Nessism; 09-13-2021, 07:22 PM.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by joe penoso View Post
        ....I know 1 thing at a time....
        You are right.
        I always try to eliminate as many as possible.
        Sounds a possible issue with the tensioner is
        on top of the todo list.

Try to ignore and eliminate distracting factors..

Unhook the tach cable from the head.
        This eliminates the cable and the meter from the equation.

Unless the oil p'sses out, ignore it.

Carb issue is not important, even dirty
        or unsynced carbs do not cause whining.

Hopefully you have no whining sound anymore.
        If you do, the tensioner is likely candidate.
        If you don't, cable or meter.

Next, oil leak probably, then carbs.

1 thing at a time, enjoy each repair.
        Last edited by Rijko; 09-13-2021, 07:02 PM.
        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

If it whines sitting still but throttled up, try listening for the whine with a long screwdriver. PuT the handle to your ear and the other end to the cam cover, tensioner, tack and all over, might help to narrow down the list.

V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

If your "oil leak under the left crankcase cover" is the cover by the shifter lever, remove it and check the gear position switch. There is a seal for it that tends to spring a leak every 30-40 years.
            If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Working...
            X