gs550e ignition surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs550e ignition surprise

Picked up a GS550 a few months ago that looked like one of the last with antidive/air forks , no kickstart, cv carbs, latest clocks etc. and first registered in 1984 in UK. So assumed it would be the last of the Es and have transistorized ignition so didnt bother checking. Well today I did and got bad surprise, it has points in it! And when I tried to set the timing statically found that there is not enough adjustment to advance it enough to line up the marks (the F).
    (It felt retarded riding so I was planning to check the electronic ignition was advancing!)

Anybody help me work out whats gone on here and perhaps help with my options?

I thought it has the original engine so can only assume someone has retro fitted points? Why, I have no idea!
    Can anyone tell from the pics if this is whats happened? Is this something that is common? Is there a way to check whether the engine is original. Im assuming with no kickstart it should also have electronic ignition.

Anyone shed any light on why I cant advance the timing enough? (Im guessing if the points arent supposed to be there, then nothings guaranteed ) Im assuming I can elongate the adjustment slot (I estimate its about 8 degrees retarded)

What would be involved in putting it back to stock ignition (assuming points are not stock). Or what are the best options for electronic ignition?

Any help appreciated, Ive struggled to make sense of the various models and updates

IMG_4001.jpg
    Last edited by ajh; 09-15-2021, 04:10 PM.

1982 GS550Ez, 1980 Yam RD350LC 4L0, 1980 Yam DT175,
    1977 Yam RD250D(Sold)
    London UK

Dyna S is path of least resistance. It works with the stock coils so no worry there.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Old bikes come with surprises
      Yes, it should be electronic ignition. Likely, the ignitor failed and the PO retrofitted points.
      Vote 2 for Dyna S
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks guys, Im not familiar with the specific original setup but is there any differences other than a straight swap of the points plate and the electronic plate? Will any orther electronic bits or wiring been changed or removed to facilitate points?
        Im just thinking if I order the Dyna for my electronic ignition model bike, will it still just plug in even though someone has fitted points?

1977 Yam RD250D(Sold)
        London UK

Comment

Originally posted by ajh View Post
          Is there a way to check whether the engine is original.
          You can check that here.

It will not tell you if this specific engine came with your bike from factory, like
          some other bikes had matching numbers for chassis and engine, but at least
          it will tell you if the engine is within the correct number range for that chassis number.
          Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
            You can check that here.

It will not tell you if this specific engine came with your bike from factory, like
            some other bikes had matching numbers for chassis and engine, but at least
            it will tell you if the engine is within the correct number range for that chassis number.
            Thanks, I did look at this and assume the quoted numbers are the start of the range? This would make mine a 1980 GS550ET model. Anyone know long did this model run for? (Seems like a long time to when mine was first registered in Dec.1984)
            Also mine has Antidive forks which seem dont seem to be very common and I cant find any reference to them in the workshop manual 1977-82 but i guess point ot it being a very late bike. In the manual there are several models - 550T e1 550et e3, 550ex with no kickstart but have CV carbs yet some have points and some have transitorized ignition. So is there a chance mine was a points bike originally?
            Appreciate any help trying to pinpoint what model I have
            Cheers!
            Last edited by ajh; 09-16-2021, 05:33 AM.

1977 Yam RD250D(Sold)
            London UK

Comment

re the Dyna S :

The Dyna S will require the manual advance unit.
              There are 2 types : Nippon Denso and Kokusan Denki and they require another Dyna rotor.
              Just so you don't order the wrong Dyna S, check out this thread and this thread.
              Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
              VM Carb rebuild tutorial
              Bikecliff's website
              The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

The fibre heels on the points are most likely worn, stopping you set ignition correctly. If you fit Dyna ignition the system you have now is Kokosan, and not Nippon denso.
                My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

thanks, I've done some more investigation and now see where the PO has spliced in the points wires into the multiblock under the seat so deffo a retrofit. Points looked fairly new and the timing was probably 8 degrees retarded so I modified the backing plate and now get the correct timing and bike runs well but I think I will go Dynatek
                  Heres a pic of my advance unit - can you guys confirm which it is as I cant see a name on it only a cryptic mark?
                  IMG_4006.jpg

1977 Yam RD250D(Sold)
                  London UK

Comment

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
                    The fibre heels on the points are most likely worn, stopping you set ignition correctly. If you fit Dyna ignition the system you have now is Kokosan, and not Nippon denso.
                    Did you say mine was Kokusan because of the mark on the advance unit? Reason I ask is that I sent pic to dynatek and they have told me to buy the ds3-2 kit which is the ND kit
                    (I noted that my points plate had the condensors sticking out and I read this indicated the points plate is Kokusan)

Bloody confusing this!

See https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...Ignition/page2 for info from Dynatek
                    Last edited by ajh; 09-24-2021, 03:07 PM.

1977 Yam RD250D(Sold)
                    London UK

Comment

Working...
                    X